Boiler leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deborah Guy, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Good morning,

The boiler is leaking a small amount of water when I initially turn on the CH.
    It doesn't continue to leak, any advice gratefully received please.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

That is quite common as things wake up again after not being used for the whole summer.
    Just make sure your pressure is correct to start with and that it doesn't drop.
    Only if it drops do you have a leaking problem that needs to be attended to.

Deborah Guy likes this.
  3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Make & model of boiler? And can you see where the leak is coming from?

Photo? (Keep it under 2MP)

Deborah Guy likes this.
  4. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Good morning and thank you for the responses. The leak continues ie it was not a one-off.
    A small amount of water is present this morning, although the boiler was not used last night.
    I believe the leak is coming from the domestic hot water inlet as there was a drip there. I have tried to tighten the nut up, but I am not convinced, is there any kind of sealant I can put on the nut to seal the joint?
    The boiler is a Ferroli F 24 B.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

5. rogerk101

Sometimes when you turn on the boiler after the summer, the auto air vents bleed out a bit of air ... along with a few drops of water. There are usually a couple of AAVs in a boiler and sometimes others located at various points around the CH system. They normally get rid of all the air within a day or so, but may stay very slightly open because of some dirt or limescale. They look like small small brass cylinders standing vertically and with a little screw cap on the top. Remove your front/top panel and have a look around for one or more of them to see that they're not the source of the leak.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

IF the source was the nut you've tweaked, then chances are it'll now be fine; that's what most folk do in such a situation, give it the the slightest turn - they'd only dismantle it to add jointing paste if it continued to leak. (But Fernox Hawk White is pretty good stuff if you decide to undo and seal the joint. There is nothing that can be added without undoing the joint - no sealing coating, for example.)

What do you mean by the DHW inlet? Is that the 15mm cold mains supply to the boiler (assuming it's a combi)? If so, my bet is that ain't the one that's leaking since that pipe is always cold and always at mains pressure - ie no excuse for it to leak at times.

Deborah Guy likes this.
  7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Try drying the drip area fully with paper towel and then shinning a torch at that joint as you fire up the boiler - the tell-tale glisten is usually obvious.

Deborah Guy likes this.
  8. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Hello, unfortunately it is still leaking, I believe it is from the red valve in the photos. Thank you, grateful for any advice please.

Attached Files:

9. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I think that is either the boiler CH's flow or return pipe as it's the larger 22mm size pipe coming from it.

If you give us the make & model of the boiler we can confirm.

That red valve will therefore be used to shut off that connection, for example when testing the boiler for internal leaks.

The question now is, where is the actual leak coming from?! It'll certainly end up at that red knob due to gravity, but it could easily be beginning at that large brass compression nut behind it.

Turn off CH. Wipe the whole fitting bone dry using a paper towel. Turn on the CH and wipe your finger repeatedly across the various parts of that fitting, starting with the large brass nut at the back; as soon as you have a wet finger you have ID'd the culprit.

I do suspect tho' that it's the actual red valve and not the brass compression fitting, since a compression fitting would tend to almost continually 'seep' whereas you have a sudden and noticeable drip(s) which then stop. That suggests a worn valve seal around that internal valve ball, or one that needs tightening around it. I don't know if the whole fitting needs to be removed for this tightening to happen - they do on most. Hopefully plumbers will advise.

But, try and confirm where exactly that drip begins.

(And M&M of boiler please).

Deborah Guy likes this.
  10. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The photo shows a water drip on the lower part of a red handle. Just above it looks like some water has accumulated on the boiler chassis and dripped onto the red handle.

Has the boiler water pressure gauge been dropping ?

The water leak is most probably inside the boiler but have a look on top of the boiler around the flue connection for any dampness. Otherwise the front sealed case cover will need removal,unfortunately thats registered gas technician territory.

When was the boiler last serviced ?

Deborah Guy and Allsorts like this.
  11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Damn the eyesight of you youngsters :)

Deborah Guy likes this.
  12. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Thank you very much for all you help on this! It is amazing how strangers will meet together on the WWW to offer help and assistance. I finally had the plumber here today to fix it as it went beyond me.

Allsorts likes this.
  13. rogerk101

You didn't say what he found and what he fixed.

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

We are always curious about the outcomes :)

15. Dennisplamer

Dennisplamer New Member

A leaking boiler indicates that an internal component such as a seal or valve is broken. The leak can lead to corrosion and rust or can cause electric components within the boiler to short circuit.

16. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Hello, the engineer has told me it is the red valve. He told me that Ferroli only sell the valves as a set of all 5, and that he will have to buy them all just to replace one, at a material cost of £175. :eek:.

(Not that it is my position to doubt that... but I did find this https:/
    /www.plumbnation.co.uk/boiler-spares/product/ferroli-39813030-safety-valve-c-w-manifold/?gclid=CjwKCAjw54fdBRBbEiwAW28S9n72Pf5zzjUlq0MsNAC4PydxZsO2kPd3HsPScm3wKoEW9SNCg6yxCBoC-_YQAvD_BwE
    - could it be the correct part...)
    He says in that instance, as the boiler is 12 years old he would recommend me to have a new boiler...
    Any advice please?

Attached Files:

17. rogerk101

Is he saying that they only come in multipacks of 5 and that even though you only need one, he'll have to buy all 5 to get your one?
    As a result, he's suggesting a complete boiler replacement?
    If so, I think it's time to call in an ethical heating engineer.

Allsorts and Deborah Guy like this.
  18. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Thanks, yes that is what he says - Is that not true?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. rogerk101

If you provide us the exact boiler model and year of manufacturer, I'm sure someone on here will find a place online from which only one of these can be bought for a reasonable price.
    You should then be able to find yourself a heating engineer who can swap it out for a reasonable price and some post-installation support ... and one who doesn't insist that you need a whole new boiler just because of a tiny leak of a minor component.

A one minute search on Google came up with this https://www.dhsspares.co.uk/product/ferroli-39813030-safety-valve-c-w-manifold-1210770
    If this is indeed the part, it costs just over £50 and you can buy them one off.

20. Deborah Guy

Deborah Guy New Member

Hello, thanks very much! I appreciate the support. It is 2006 Ferroli F24 B, I hope the attached picture can reveal the exact part needed? I am sorry it won't upload right way up.

Attached Files: