No Power in Cable that Previously Powered Boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Karl Louie, Sep 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Karl Louie

Karl Louie New Member

We recently got our boiler replaced but the guys couldn't connect the new boiler to the wire that previously powered the boiler since the previous boiler and the old thermostat kept tripping the RCD. After replacing the boiler and removing the thermostat there has been no tripping but now there is no power in the wire?

We know this since we tried connecting the wire to an extension lead like this and tried to power a light switch but nothing happened.

Any ideas?

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You tried to power a light switch? What did you expect it to do - go 'click'?

Whoever replaced your boiler must have had a 'sparky' in their midst, so either call them back to ID the problem or - much better still - get a new competent sparky who has been recommended to you.

This should be an easy fix - whatever is the cause.

But I wouldn't recommend the original guy, and I think you should stop now too.

3. Karl Louie

Karl Louie New Member

I don't have any experience in electrics, but I would have thought that it would turn on?

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If there’s no power in the cable then it’s either wired wrong, a blown fuse, a switch off, or fault at consumer unit.

You just hope that once the issue is discovered the electrics don’t start tripping again. Imagine if the boiler was replaced due to a fault with a cable.

Testing the cable with a multimeter or volt meter would have been the best option.

5. Karl Louie

Karl Louie New Member

The previous boiler was over 20 years old and wouldn't turn on without some banging so a change was needed. I had hoped that I would be able to resolve this issue myself, but it looks like we would need an electrician in the end. Thank you for your replies.

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

i had exactly the same problem moved into a rented house quilifed electrician was called in to check the electrics out and one minute boiler was working fine when i went out got call from wife saying boiler now not powering up electrician could not find the fault told them to leave it too me found fault within five minutes and I'm not quilifed just highly experienced.

7. Karl Louie

Karl Louie New Member

How did you find the fault?

8. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

with a multi meter what i ended up doing is taking the cable out from the FCU and putting a plug on it the electrician had disturbed a cable under the floor boards so decided it would be easier to plug it.

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I’m not sure that taking Line and Neutral to a light switch is going to do anything other than trip the MCB or blow the fuse?
    How did you wire the cable to the light switch?

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Hi Karl.

I was being a bit flip in my first reply, but - seriously - if you need such basic guidance on this then you shouldn't be tackling it.

I mean, you have a cable that has no power coming from it? And you are asking what to do next? Surely it's to go to the other end of that cable and check there?

Bear in mind there are external controls associated with boilers - room stats and stuff. You need to allow for these as well, if the power is coming via them.

You need a sparky.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Stick a plug on your boiler and plug into an extension lead that will get you away for now then call a sparky out, the people fitting your boiler should of sorted it, they should of left you with a working boiler, how did they test it if it isnt working?

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Has the new boiler been commissioned, registered, and is doing what it's supposed to?
    If the answer is yes, then what is the problem?