Fitting a 'bum gun' bidet hose

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SeanyK, Sep 14, 2018.

1. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Hey folks, got myself one of these having used them on holiday, brilliant things they are...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074X1Y7FN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to mount it to the right hand side of the toilet, there is an MDF enclosure (see photos).

In the pack, there is a 't-valve' which also has a turnable isolation, which, apparently, when not in use, you are supposed to have that turned off, so, you would need that somewhere easily accessible.

My ideal install idea, would be to have the valve mounted on the side of the MDF enclosure next to the holder with the 'bum gun' in, however, as you can see in the photographs, the cistern fill point will not be close enough to do that, without me somehow moving it closer to the mdf part.

I was just wondering the best way of doing this, would it be feasible to use a different 'tee' piece off the cistern to the one supplied, and have that run to a hose outside of the mdf enclosure? If so, any recommendations on parts from Screwfix?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS> Ignore the 'blue' cable from the flusher, I never fitted this toilet originally :D

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If you have mains water supply, it’s against the water regs io install it.

There is a high risk of contamination to the water supply

Regards
    Peter

Heat likes this.
  3. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Really? They are all over the place for sale, would the backflow protection not solve that issue??

4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Am I missing something? Don't these connect to the outlet of a mixer like a shower hose?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Never seen one myself but looks like no fixings on actual valve itself to
    mount onto cistern housing

So you need rigid copper pipe to enter and exit valve I guess to hold it in place

Needs to be neat as connections are gonna be outside of cistern housing, along with valve

Pretty much anything in plumbing can be connected either with copper, placky or flexi pipe and compatable connections

Just needs a little planning as it’s all gonna be on show

But once it’s all working, wow, what a great feeling. You can’t beat a nice shiny ring :)

6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I don't see that they can connect direct to the mains. Cold water at mains pressure would cerainly wake you up in the morning! I'm going to stick my toilet brush with a squirt of Cif bathoom cleaner.

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

A hose union or other tap to which a spray or jet may be attached at the outlet, and which may be located adjacent to ordinary WCs or squatting toilets, is a fluid category 5 risk, in that the tap outlet could be contaminated directly with urine or other matter and, if a hose is provided, the spray or jet could be deposited in the WC. Taps for this purpose must not be supplied with water from a supply pipe, but can be supplied from an independent distributing pipe providing that the highest part of the zone of the backflow risk is not less than 300mm below any cistern serving the tap (see Diagram R15.12.2)

Category 5 , to be tank fed.

Heat likes this.
  8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Thought it was a separate tank. (?)

9. I would be repairing the dodgy connection to the cistern and redoing it.There is too much strain being put on the ball valve tail, pushing it upwards with pipe and connectors being too long.

10. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

I can repair that connection when I do this job so do both at the same time which will be good :) I have copper pipe already, so could just get some brass olives and the nuts to fasten.

Just trying to see how I can get it all connected properly and correctly... Almost like I need a 3 way check valve!

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

12. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

13. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

No advice from chippie on the 'bumgun' then?

retiredsparks likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Surprised the thread has lasted this long :rolleyes:

15. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

Just a question, I have abandoned the idea of the hose one, however, does this also need the same regulations as a category 5 fluid risk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YEGU-Attac...204011&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bidet+seat&psc=1

This is one that goes under the seat, not having a hose attachment or anything like that, so would this simply be a case of plug into the water fill of the cistern, tee off it and off you go ?

(they look a bit ugly to be fair but if it gets the job done...)

16. just pumps

Saw one these a couple of weeks ago, it was tee'd of the supply to the cistern as you say. I'll take a guess and say it's ok.

17. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Looks unhygienic.

18. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

SeanyK,that supply's a warm wash experience.Seen in advertising for other similar units that it is piles better or better for your piles,cant remember.

Still needs to be fitted by a registered plumber but its your call :p

19. SeanyK

SeanyK Member

20. just pumps

Why the registered plumber Teach?