Crown Fastflow Gloss or Satin for HS&L

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by MrM, Sep 14, 2018.

1. MrM

MrM Member

Hi all,

Planning on the next job or painting the all my skirting, door frames, wooden bannister and landing bannister in my house.

It's a fair bit of panting, and reading previous threads, Crown Trade Fast Flow Quick Dry Gloss is recommended to avoid yellowing too soon.

I've got zero knowledge on Satin based, and the best time to use either.

Is it simply a matter of shine vs none shine with Gloss vs Satin, or are there other characteristics I should be aware of?

TIA

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

MrM likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Great choice of paint, I’m always banging on about it on here.

Personally prefer it to the Johnstones Aqua range, not saying it’s better (but it is) :)

Gloss or Satin is down to you on cosmetic looks, but, honestly don’t know if there’s a difference in their longevity - especially on areas that are subject to wear and tear - skirts, bannisters, etc

What surface are you painting over ?

New timber, previously painted surface, painted with oil or water based paint ?

Prep always required ;)
    Same system Undercoat recomended to be used

Agree, I’ve used Paint Shed thanks to Kiab, great prices and service. The Crown was recently on special offer ..... better be quick

£75 spend for free postage but even paying for postage, I still saved money :D

KIAB likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't favour Satin myself but decorated my HS&l with FastFlow Gloss 18 months ago, no complaints lovely white and super shiny, one undercoat and two gloss coats to finish.

MrM likes this.
  5. MrM

MrM Member

Thanks diydave, i read your previous posts which is where i took advice from - thanks.

It painted over previously water glossed paint by the looks of it.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Good choice of paint indeed :D

Let the forum know ur views on it once you get stuck into the painting - will be interesting

As ever, the quality of the end result is also reliant on the prep put in, before the painting starts, not just the quality of the paint itself

Enjoy the painting

7. MrM

MrM Member

Just wanted to return to this thread and say thank you for the recommendation on Crown FastFlow Gloss. I did as described here and got a decent brush (c£15 from memory?).

Mr & Mrs M happy with the results!

(Hallway floor wasn't down yet so excuse the cut off carpet!)

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      875.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      893.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      1,021.7 KB
      Views:
    KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This last month I have painted a 3 bed house all grey paint to every room plus 2 bedrooms at another address and a dressing room somewhere else all grey, very popular now since all other colours have been banned since Brexit!:D Apparently it's a colour that reflects the mood of the nation.:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got grey in dinning room here, & New Year,hall,stairwell as well is going most likely going grey.

Was suprised at the number of shades of grey available.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used Dulux Heritage Matt Emulsion Lead White and Chiltern White.

KIAB: Get a Little Greene & Co colour chart as they have one that only has Grey shades in it, very good it is.:)

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks,intresting, in town tomorrow, will creep around to decorator merchant & have a nosey.:)