Electric shower spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bertie16, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Hello Sparks (and mates and improvers).
    I have an electric shower at home creda 8.5kw.
    The shower is working however the spur is dodgy.
    Its been ok for four years but now when I click the spur down to send power to the shower the light on the spur only partly glows and I have to force the red button all the way down for the light to come on fully and give power.
    Does this just sound like a dodgy spur?
    Is it just a broken spring inside?
    Help appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's not a spur, it's a double pole switch and yes it is faulty and needs replacing. I you're doing this yourself do make VERY sure that you tighten all connections very securely.

3. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Thanks Seneca. How much they cost?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Around £10 depending on make and where you buy it. Try to get a well known brand such as MK if possible.

5. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Thanks I will do. Much appreciated.

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Problems with shower switches and pull cords are nearly always caused by people that switch them off after every shower. I'm my opinion they only need turning off for maintenance.

7. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

I did once hear if you didn't turn them off after every shower you are more at risk of fire, is that not true?

8. peter palmer

I'd say you are more at risk of a fire if you continually use them, its not a pretty site when one burns out.

9. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Peter-continually use what the switch or the shower?

10. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Do I need a 13 amp or 32 amp?

11. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

12. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

T
    Thanks a bunch.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

40 or 45 amp for an 8.5kW load.

14. peter palmer

The switch, I've changed loads of burn out ones over the years and its nearly always someone who switches it off after every use.

15. Bertie16

Bertie16 Member

Will the 32 amp not work for that?

16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

8500W / 240V = 35.4A; so you should use a 40A minimum.

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

But if you think of it, - the switch will NOT be damaged by burning caused by power bridging the contacts, as normally showers are first turned off at the shower, so switch and cable not under load.
    Also other 2 pole switches on other electric items in a home rarely burn out, despite being turned on and off very frequently. I know showers use more power, but still shows switches on washing machines, cookers and immersion heaters tend to last well.
    A friend on mine is a electronic/electrical engineer and always investigates faults. He said the problem is often caused by loose wires, but also noted that the contacts in MK pull cord switches are loose and will cause burning while shower is working. The contacts, for those that don’t know, are very similar to the points in old cars
    I do know I replace a lot of MK burnt out pull cord switches.
    I find they burn out, used or not

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Of course it would work, but probably not for long! Perhaps the original one is 32amp and that's why it's failed.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Never use anything less than a 45A rated dp switch with a shower circuit. 32A is definitely not good enough (you are looking at price and cheaper price is not going to satisfy the requirements). Crabtree do a 50A rated pull-cord switch for the ceiling mounted and they are the best on the market. The two gang size vertical switches are the ones you need they have sufficient room to get the larger wires terminated correctly and tightly in the back box.

Heat likes this.
  20. peter palmer

I always fit the double size switches nowadays, why *** about trying to get 10mm into a 1 gang box.