Price on re-wire please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Sep 16, 2018.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Usually I can price most stuff to within reason but this is quite a big job and the client wants a quote as soon as. Its a HMO over 3 floors with an atic room. Needs full re-wire, new LED surface fittings and emergency lighting.

front.jpg gf.jpg
    ff.jpg
    sf.jpg
    tf.jpg
    The only plus side is most ceilings are grid/tiles but the old lath and plaster ceiling is still intact above them, and the building is occupied.

Off the top of my head I reckon 6 weeks for 2 people and about 8K in materials. or about £35K all in, but I could be miles out. Anyone done anything this big before

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Is this the dos house you posted up? Are you sure the owner is going to pay you? He don't seem to give a **** about the occupiers, so I hope he does about you...

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I priced something similar a while ago for students came in at £35000 am glad i didnt get the job there was load of issues with it, took 3yr to complete, sometimes these jobs are not worth the grief

4. peter palmer

Its been sold very recently to a company with wads of cash, they make a killing in this sector. This is who we did the report for, they get all their properties tested and upgraded as necessary.

Its had the full works, drains, asbestos, fire etc. The all clear PIR was done by the old owners obviously to sell it.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That job is far too big for two people, Peter. You should get a couple of teams of two or three on it else you will get overwhelmed with the work. Like others have said there is likely to be a lot of problems arising during the job and unless you have the cash flow and the financial backing it could be a bad one to do. Over price rather than under price. If you don't get the job then its probably for the best.

6. peter palmer

Meant to say 6 weeks for 3 or 4 people, we've now got a lad who has got a years site experience and is **** hot so there are 3 of us but I'm slowly falling apart. Cash flow shouldn't be a problem, staged payments so no payment=no work.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree with Unphased, too much for just 2 people and just think about all the smaller and less stressful jobs you'll be turning away whilst you're buggering about with that one for a couple of months. Walk away!

Heat and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wise words from both, walk away fast,could become a job from hell.

Heat, seneca and Bazza like this.
  9. peter palmer

How do you walk away when they are offering work for the next 12 months and beyond. The job in 2 weeks is simply replace about 80 pendants with LED surface fittings in a nearly new, empty, clean apartment complex. Should make about £3k.

10. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Run away.....!!

11. peter palmer

Does no-one have any sense of adventure, where else can you see 2 smackheads fighting over a mangy jumper or slice of toast.

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Sparkielev

Middlesbrough !

Jord86 and longboat like this.
  13. Sparkielev

We just expressing our concerns you were struggling to cope not so long ago, go for it if you think it won't stretch you

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Oldest trick in the book, Peter.
    The promise of extra work in the future if the 'prices' are right for the work they want doing NOW.
    It's all very tempting, I must agree, but don't go in light to start with for the sake of a promise that is very unlikely to materialise.

Take your fair/reasonable estimate and add a good buffer to it. Say 20%.
    If you get the go, all good and well, but be very cautious of those whom bring into the bidding at an early stage of guarantees for future contracts.

15. peter palmer

Not a million miles away.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

17. Sparkielev

Were is it ?

18. peter palmer

Not too far away either, but to be fair it could be any part of the NE couldn't it.

We did do a emergency call out to Redcar one evening the other year though, the smoke alarms were going off and sending the nutty inmates even nuttier apparently. A 260 mile round trip to discover they were just battery operated alarms and one needed a new battery, nice work if you can get it.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

28 bedrooms
    Similar thing happened in my sons Uni halls of residence. One friday my son and a few other students, couldn't get into their room using the electronic door key. The emergency electrician was called out to check the system. He discovered that each of the student rooms relied on a pair of AA batteries inside the door to control the card reader. Apparently, instead of installing some good quality long life branded batteries they had some obscure brand fitted. They found him a spare room and he got paid a fortune to remain on site over the weekend just in case any more failed before he had fitted replacements.

20. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

You will need to install smoke detection possible via linked or main panel .the fact it is occupied is a big issue unless the premisses are vacated at a time for you to start could be a nightmare . Check rooms for furniture as you would but possible scatterly furnished if student ,the stairwell lighting has to be looked at and what provision is there with consumer units is main board or run sub main to each flat . If you are strapped for work £1000 each flat and £20,000 for services as all circuits on rcd I would install consumer unit in each flat on sub mains . Be prepared for a student being in bed all day and no access is the problem I have encountered all rooms must vacated at say 8 am or 9am