Mouse to suck cables through conduits/pipes?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by BikerChris, Sep 14, 2018.

1. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Hi there,

Just wondering if you sell something like this? I'll soon need to pull cables through 25-30m of pipe.

Cheers!

Chris

2. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What size pipe.

4. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Probably 2 inch I reckon.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a leaf blower brilliant tool for blowing draw lines for cables through pipes, 30 mtrs easy distance.:)

And a vac works as well,never tried that method.

BikerChris likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

BikerChris likes this.
  8. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

BikerChris likes this.
  9. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Jesus, you lot give me so many options, fair play!

KIAB - I like the leaf blower idea, but I've got an adjustable air compressor, may be I can use that? Just trying to save pennies where possible :)

DIYDAVE - Just a straight run around 25-30m. No access points along it, but only to avoid moisture ingress (will be underground about a foot. Cables will be power and network (Cat6).

Magicspark - wow, that looks like some good gear, cheap to hire for a day as well.
    Thanks everyone!

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Plenty of options as referred to above.

Can you lay the pipe out straight before you fit? If so, get an initial pull cord in there at that time, the job should then be way easier as you move up. Had to do a similar length a while back, one end on the balcony and around 5m up, the other on the ground, a few decent heavy nuts on the end of bricklayers line (bright pink and doubled), started to feed in and kept on, with an occasional shake. A minute or so later, the nuts dropped out of the end and I had two pull cords there, one to use and one as back up.

Typing mine along side your reply ... so it sounds as though you have the room to lay it out first.

And I would also suggest pulling the cables through before you install the pipe/conduit. Pull 1m out of the end and leave the drum/box at the other. Much easier than doing it with buried cable.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Compressor no go as it blows air not suck like a vac.

BikerChris likes this.
  12. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Oh sorry, I thought it would replace the leaf blower technique?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops::oops:

Yes your right,would think it would work ok,never tried with a compressor, I'm on wrong wavelength.[​IMG]

14. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Ah, nee bother ;) Nice one though, that's what I might do - luckily it's fairly portable!

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is it ok running power and data cables touching in the same trunking ?

Don’t know enough about it but possibly can lead to interference or similiar amongst data cables I’ve read

Dado trunking, say in offices, has divided compartments to seperate power and data cables

Someone way more knowledgable than me, hopefully will comment on this point

Apologies if I’m totally wrong, I’m not actually stating as fact, more that it needs checking out :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Power could use SWA,so no need for ducting & Cat 6 could be exterior grade & run through a length of MDPE pipe.

BikerChris likes this.
  17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You can get SWA Cat6 too.

Yes it can, although I have recently seen an installation done this way and there wer no problems. I prefer to keep them 150mm apart if possible and crossing at 90 degrees.

BikerChris and KIAB like this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wasn't sure about SWA Cat 6, would save on ducting, have used the Cat5e SWA,wasn't that expensive.

19. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

That MDPE pipe is pretty cheap, thanks for that KIAB! ;)

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last 25mtr roll of 20mm MDPE I bought cost me a tenner.

Might even find cheaper on Ebay, or try a wanted on Freegle,Freecycle, always mdpe pipe being listed on my local one.

BikerChris likes this.