tile on tile

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Sep 18, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Might be tiling over existing ceramic tile with similar tiles but 600x400 probably.
    Around bath 1700 x 700 x 1.6 m high.
    Old house , upstairs, wood floor... plastic bath.
    Prefer pre mixed tub adhesive.
    Recommendations please.
    OR...which suitable wall board from where ?
    RS

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't, that's a hell of a lot of weight on the walls, I'd imagine your new tiles will be 10-12mm thick, better to remove what's there and start afresh. Mapei ready mixed adhesive I've found to be very good.

Muzungu likes this.
  3. retiredsparks

Thanks Jord
    I agree but it's a love job in sons new (old) house....and think I will be opening a can of worms.(render plaster etc etc)
    What about wall panels...any experience ...advice... as I have never used them.
    Rs

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Some panels can look nice in fairness, have only fitted two bathrooms worth over the years, found them a bit of a pain as the ones I fitted had to be cut accurately to the walls to leave a minimal gap to seal at the end, and have to go on a fairly flat surface so no flex later on, you silicone the panels on with clear silicone. Obviously with an old house the walls are going to be all over the place, so you may have dips and bumps and odd angles that will need to be cut and scribed accurately.

I'm not greatly experienced in using these products mind you, I would think CGN would be the man to suggest something more appropriate.

5. retiredsparks

Hope he contributes...all grist to the mill.
    thanks
    RS

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Ceramic tiles usually not too heavy. Anyhow just around the bath area? Unless it is p/board or the existing tiles are blown it will be fine. Far too much worrying here. If the existing tiles are loose just take them off- it will be easy. I would go for a decent bagged flexi addy.

7. retiredsparks

Looks like bottom row are blowing.
    They have been "painted" ...and my D in L did not invite me to see the place before they bought it !!!!
    Really ? It's a nightmare.
    Which flexi addy do you suggest with a good open time ?
    cheers
    RS

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Hack the bottom row off. You will soon see how well stuck they are.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a bodge job RS and you know it is, so much for your old fashioned craftsmanship, when it comes down to it you're a cowboy tiler.

Dam0n and KIAB like this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your harsh well meaning post is sadly unfortunate, he apparantly can't read a word you say.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Apparantly :):)

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bad English, I can spell, believe it or not, just after a couple my awareness and inhibitions are somewhat lowered. And never heightened.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to correct your spelling in fact I spelt it wrongly as well.
    The "apparantly" was that RS doesn't see any of the posts he claims not to see, I gave up correcting spelling years ago. :oops::oops:

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its possible to tile over tiles and recently ripped out a bathroom where that had taken place. Would I do it?
    Prob not. It would be a quick fix on something like a kitchen splashback as I'd always be concerned that a tile could drop off the wall just as I was taking a relaxing bath. Prob won't, but it could.
    There, I'm sure that's helped?! :)

If you do, use a bagged Addy as previously suggested.

15. retiredsparks

CGN, thanks.....you know what these jobs are like...you take off a row of tiles to refix...and two days later..are replastering the wall, moving sinks, redoing the plumbing and redecorating the entire bathroom...lol
    Will pop the bottom row off and see how its looking....
    RS

16. retiredsparks

I assume one of the walking dead has decided to regurgitate his dinner during an apoplectic fit..or perhaps has suffered another bout of reverse peristalsis which is a chronic and acute malady for them all.
    You are quite correct in your suspicions ...that I have instigated a state of Purdah regarding the 'untouchables'...or in this case the unreadables...
    :cool:
    RS

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I know exactly what they're like RS and surely as a man of leisure, you're up for a nice easy project?! ;)

18. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

As a DIY'er and slow tiler I need something that doesn't go off in the bucket so use Mapei Ultimate Showerproof ready mixed and get on with it well. Bought a tub of Unibond first, in my naivety, and the Mapei was streets ahead, completely different consistency, gritty rather than sloppy. Used Mapei Ultracolour Plus grout, found that grouting is definitely an art but got there eventually.

retiredsparks likes this.
  19. retiredsparks

Thanks Muz...I probably am slow as well....so thats worth knowing
    cheers
    Rs

20. retiredsparks

The easier the better. Cost is a problem for them and it means dragging tools over 20 miles and working around a night shift worker.
    They cant be without the shower and bath...for more than a day or so.
    The less I do the less I want to do...lol
    RS