Is it likely that this wallpaper contains asbestos?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MR HARRY, Sep 21, 2018.

1. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

A ceiling rose fell down causing damage to some of this wallpaper. I cut away a small of part of the wallpaper to expose the plaster ceiling where I was going to adhere the rose back. Luckily I was wearing a proper dust mask because I just had the thought that it could contain asbestos. House was renovated in the late 70s. 20180921_113721.jpg

2. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

As a small amount of dust has probably been released. If it were asbestos what should I do now? Clean the area? I'm currently airing the house to try to remove any airborne dust (luckily its really windy)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

4. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

How can you be sure?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty sure embossed wallpapers like Anaglypta never contained asbestos, unlike various textured coatings like artex which had asbestos.
    The use of white asbestos was banned about 1998-9, but Artex was still on sale in 2000 containing it.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wall paper didn't have asbestos init but some plaster had asbestos fibres added

Unless you are wearing a high quality face mask, filtration for the room, went through decontamination then if there was asbestos falling into the air - it is too late and there is no cure.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The picture shows embossed wallpaper it contains zero asbestos.

8. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

The ceiling rose is plaster, what are the chances this has asbestos in it? I've heard that decorative moulding can have it. I managed to blow a hole through it with a screw as i was trying to put the rose back up.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stop worrying.

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

http://www.asbestosguide.org/asbestos-in-plaster/

11. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

Can't help it. The thought of inhaling something that will kill me stresses me out

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you have, it is too late :rolleyes:

but you have 20 -30 years

13. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

Is it a certainty even after a small amount of exposure?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Asbestosis can be caused by a single fibre that makes it way into the lungs. If you have ever been to a school or hospital built in the UK from 1920 - 1980s then you have been in an environment with asbestos. Last month the HSE put a stop on asbestos gauze which was still be supplied to chemistry labs in school until recently.

There are millions of pathogens, chemicals, etc. that we are exposed to each day that could kill you or shorten your life. Really isn't worth worrying about every little thing that could do you harm

KIAB, Jord86 and MR HARRY like this.
  15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I'm 57 and since I was 15 I have scraped artex with a T-shirt mask , silly I know but by the time I heard of asbestosis I probably had done hundreds of them , don't worry about it , although it might explain some of the madness

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When I thing back at the things I used to do years ago like move asbestos sheets about and even my mother had a piece of asbestos build into the ironing board to rest the iron on.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Embossed paper, as said no risk. Any fine dust deposit on the ceiling under the paper is most likely old distemper (whitewash) just chalk and a glue binder.

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I guess after 5 years it's either sorted or he's dead :rolleyes:

TY91 likes this.
  20. HarryL1234

HarryL1234 Screwfix Select

I'd say 30 years is a bit optimistic.

I think the lead-based asbestos wallpaper they put up in the 70s is a national scandal, yet where is the coverage in the MSM?