Primer for mahogany

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by KIAB, Sep 23, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What primer for hardwood, looks like mahogany, but could be iroko.

Got Zinsser's BIN, Bulleyes 123, alumimum primer & Bedec multi surface paint here, what's best for priming a pair of half glazed hardwood doors.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Painting mahogany? Painting iroko? Pure sacrilege!

:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Totally agree, not my decision.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This morning I will be using some Dulux trade products on some hardwood windows. I am refurbishing.

It would have been nice to keep them as natural wood but they have been abused by previous decorators (and weather) and have needed quite a bit of epoxy and filling. Plus the a Muppet that worked on the windows secured the tenons with round head wire nails which had rusted and spit the wood :mad:

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/web/pdf/datasheets/540.pdf

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

wipe over with meths and paint with bedec barn paint...............job done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

......or Sadolin Superdec, better colour choice.;)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Interior doors.:)

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I tried the Sadolin Superdec on the last window I refurbished, it took many coats to get a depth of colour. Hence going to change to the Dulux Trade weathershield system.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

BIN is the primer to use

KIAB likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Colour or translucent?

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

White

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Honestly never had a problem with Superdec I have used it many,many times however I find barn paint has a better opacity and covers very well.

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The thing with mahogany is, you have to seal the timber before applying any finish to it. I’m not sure that a coat of zinsser bin is going to actually seal the pores in the timber. As roger says, it’s sacrilege to paint such a nice hardwood. ;);)

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It did cover eventually but took many coats. It did come up really well - too well the neighbours thought I had given up and installed UPVC upload_2018-9-23_22-33-10.png

This it takes about 2 weeks to get back to bare wood before routing out the depth and repairing, paint, double glaze, paint again. It is about £350 a window for materials. Really is one of those jobs that isn't economically sensible but to put UPVC replacements would be such a waste

upload_2018-9-23_22-30-34.png

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree it’s sacrilege,did consider replacing other doors, but exsisting doors have to stay white.:(
    Doors are very nice, glass is beveled at the edges,they probably cost a few hundred quid considering the quailty,got them very cheap from Ebay.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

forgot to mention one thing about the Dulux primer

upload_2018-9-24_18-25-54.png

Yep it is that turquoise but dries clear

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Seems to be really good stuff. The first coat absorbed really well the second did this :

upload_2018-9-24_18-33-4.png

Almost looks like it has been varnished /oiled before it dries

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now that does look good.:)