Ensuite toilet soil pipe fall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adam Ward, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

hi,

I'm replacing my ensuite. The old ensuite toilet sometimes smelt a bit, but put this down to age. It fills and flushes perfectly fine and doesnt block up.

We removed the toilet and the soil pipe is horrizontal; there is no fall at all (its perfectly level). The fitters say if I leave it like this, the new toilet will begin to smell as theere isnt enough fall.

They have suggested raising the floor under the toilet by 20mm but this in a small ensuite will be a hazard and look horrible.

Soil pipe is 0.6m long, so using the calculations for 1:40 drop (Fall = Gradient x Distance - 0.025 x 0.6 = 0.015) which I think is 15mm?

This is a really small amount to raise the toilet, is there any way to raise the toilet without raising the floor (not a plastic plinth, they are horrid).

Attached Files:

• one.jpg
      one.jpg
      File size:
      190 KB
      Views:
    • two.jpg
      two.jpg
      File size:
      354.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The pipe being level will not effect the Smell issue as the water in the pan is there to stop many smell.

Is there any sign of solid being stuck to the inside of the pipe.??

If not then they are flowing away as they should and its not causing the problem.

What form of air admittance is there on the stack pipe.??

KIAB likes this.
  3. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

Hi,

There is no evidence of buildup inside the pipework, everything seems to flush away perfectly fine and water level inside the pan was fine too...
    There is air admittance attached to the stack pipe so i've been told that goes up and through the roof (this is all I know about it i'm afraid). Should I find out what form of air admittance is fitted?

Cheers,

Adam

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

On short runs, solid getting stuck is not really a problem, it is the longer runs where you need to get the fall right.

Is the pan sealed to the pipe properly? Maybe an air gap at the top due to misalignment? Maybe change the connector - what is there now?

If you need to raise the pan, look for one with a higher outlet level, 20, 30, 40mm.

Adam Ward likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Such a short lengfth of pipe isn't going to affect the performance of toilet flushing.

air admittance valve would usaually terminate in the loft, than go through roof outside, if AAV has failed ,then this would cause system to vent through basin/bath overflow to equal negative pressure.

Adam Ward likes this.
  6. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

hi,

Thank you - thats really helpful - I'll get the Air Admittance Valve checked and have the toilet installed as is without trying to raise it. There will be a slight fall once the tile adhesive and tiles are taken into account.

Cheers,

Adam

7. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

Hi,

I dont know if the pan was sealed properly I'm afraid as the issue only came to light once the ensuite had been removed. I will ask the fitter to replace the horizontal waste pipe for new whilst its exposed and will get him to check the Air Admittance Valve and replace if needed. I'll also ask him to check that everything is as tight as possible.

Cheers,

Adam

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If im reading this right you only noticed the smell once toilet removed.??

If so thats to be expected since there's no trap to stop it.

Once a new toilet is in place the smell will go.

9. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

Hi,

No sorry it smelt a bit before it was removed, I thought it was just age / use related.

When I say issue came to light when the ensuite was removed, I meant once the pipe was exposed I was told that the pipe didnt have enough "fall" on it.

Toilet is removed now and no smell at all, even with exposed pipe as per pictures...

Cheers,

Adam

10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If that's the case, then you must have an exceptionally effective ventilation system on your soil pipes ... or a blocked nose. If the former, then you won't have a problem at all with the new toilet.
    I would normally have covered the exposed bog pipe with a double layer of bread plastic bags sealed tightly with rubber bands!

11. Adam Ward

Adam Ward New Member

Lol, yes I know what you mean, but honestly I've had my head down by the toilet pipe (exposed and uncovered!) as in the pictures and there is no smell at all! I am quite sensitive to bad smells - I'm not that bothered by them, but i can detect them well and its not an issue.

Cheers,

Adam