Advice super please for transforming my parents Kitchen

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jamie of campbell, Sep 24, 2018.

1. My parents go away in a couple of weeks and I have offered to paint their bedroom for them.

I would also like to transform their kitchen via painting the kitchen cabinets white as well as painting the kitchen tiles.

There seems to be lots of products on the market and unsure which one to buy.

Please see a few pics to get an idea of the job

Pics https://imgur.com/gallery/40eUZ1D

Most products say no need prime but unsure if its best to any way?

Any help is super appreciated!! You will help put such a huge smile on their faces on their return

I also plan to buy them new kitchen flooring that comes on a role, is there a particular flooring I should be looking for thats hard wearing and wont tear easily ?

:)

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Before doing any painting in the kitchen scrub the surfaces down with a coupe of strong doses of sugar soap, and then rinse well; otherwise even the best primer won't stick to the surfaces. It's astounding how much cooking grease builds up on kitchen surfaces over time ... even in households that hardly ever fry stuff.

jamie of campbell likes this.
  3. Thank you, will do :) ...

Keep the advice coming please guys

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There's a lot of work required to paint kitchen units and IMHO, they're not the type of units that will benefit from hand painting. Just my opinion though. New tiles and flooring would give it a 'lift', as the units and worktops don't seem too bad.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember that the outcome is generally down to the quality of the prep. Grease is a big enemy when it comes to painting kitchen units, so its important to get this off first.
    Good luck.

5. rogerk101

If you really want to impress them, spray the paint rather than brush it on. You can buy a good compressor system second hand on eBay or rent one for very little money, but it will get you a much better finish and be much quicker in the long term than if you do it brush stroke by brush stroke.

6. I wouldn't trust myself spraying, tried before with cans and drips everywhere.

I notice Rust-Oleum do wood/cabinet paints and they seem a trusted brand.

Plan to use roller for coats and to sand and prime between coats... Also going to do a light grey colour as think the finish will look better than white, as white shows to many imperfections

Hopefully @Astramax can shine a little advice in here. :)

:)

7. rogerk101

OK - sponge rollers produce a good finish, but if you're painting them in situ, you'll still be having to use a fine brush to get up close to the handles and hinges.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

White is the most forgiving colour when it comes to imperfections, but not dirty marks. :)

9. You learn something new every day! :)

10. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Easiest to take the doors off, unscrew the hinges and paint the doors an draw fronts in a garage or shed. It'll be easy to spray in a place like with plenty of sheets. Remember lots of thin passes, wear a decent face mask for fumes ( different filter to a dust mask).

Then you only need to paint the pelmet and coving in the kitchen, carefully mask with green frog tape for a perfect edge, take the tape off when the final coat is still wet.

11. Thanks guys :)

Can the vynle flooring be painted with a certain procedure and paint?

Its extremely hard wearing and good condition but be ideal if I could paint it rather than change out as the colour theme wont match what I'm looking to create

12. rogerk101

However hard wearing the flooring is, whatever paint you apply to it won't be hard wearing, and within a few weeks will look tattier than the existing look.

13. Ahhh I see... I will.change out! :)

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I know you mean well, but painting a kitchen after it has been used for a while is very difficult. Inevitably grease will have found its way in to the nooks and crannies, and it could all end up a huge mess. Painted tiles always look particularly bad in my eyes. If you want to make a tired kitchen look a bit better, then a super-clean goes a long way. Perhaps change the door handles and window blind if there is one. If the tiles are sound but the grout is discoloured, you can bleach it first to see if it cleans up, or possibly over-grout it. Old tiles all sparkly clean with fresh white grout will look much better.

But don't paint it! (except the walls and timber work round doors etc.)

Richard_ likes this.
  15. gryphon

gryphon Member

Hi guy's sorry to hijack the thread but i to am looking into painting the kitchen cabinets (similar cabinets to the original poster)

What paint/finish would work best on cabinets.

Thanks

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google V33, B & Q sell it.

gryphon likes this.