paint for vinyl skirting boards

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Theleman, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi All

I was trying to paint skirting board, which is white in colour and also vinyl finish. When I tried with Matt emulsion, it just wasn't painting at all. Paint was bubbling up on the surface and became droplets.

What should I do?

I was thinking of sanding the vinyl surface of the skirting board before painting.

Or maybe I should go and get different type of paints for it? What do you think. cheers.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do not sand the vinyl as it does not sand and will scratch and leave marks,simply wash it and prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 and then apply the choice of paint.

3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Great info and advice, Astra. Thank you.

I am glad that I didn't start sanding it. :)
    Will do. I think Screwfix stock them for 15 quid for 1 litre.
    cheers mate.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why are you painting skirting boards with Matt Emuslion ?

This paint is for walls and ceilings, not timber trims

Plenty of paints available that are better suited for your skirtings, available in many colours and finishes and price ranges

Emulsion ain’t one of them :eek:

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Becasue I have never done it before, just tried to see how it would be.

So do I not even need primer? Just go to b&q and choose paints for vinyl finish skirting board?

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I have used matt emulsion paint with greAt results for wooden banisters and door and window frames in the past.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Great stuff, very pleased for you :)

So Emulsion it is, that’s decided

You could be giving Allsorts DA a run for his money as he paints everything in masonry paint

I’m now gonna chuck out my Crown Fastflow W Based and use emuslion for everything now,,,,,, certainly a hell of a lot cheaper

I’ve seen 10ltr for around £8.00 so at that price, it’s gotta be top of the range, quality gear

It’s not gonna flake, chip, wear or any other problem and super washable

Cheers mate for the tip :D

What’s your thoughts on using this paint on outside timeber ?

Should be fine I recon ? ;)

8. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sorry it was not matt emulsion. But it was the egg shell emulsion.
    I think I sanded the banister and door frames lightly, and then painted with the egg emulsion paint last year.

It is still looking fine.

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You won't get a good paint at B&Q ... you'd be well advised to go to a pro-shop, like Brewers, or even to our hosts.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If he’s painting woodwork with emulsion then it don’t matter where it’s from :eek:

99p shop sounds perfect, may even be reduced as loads closing down

Why buy quality when it’s not needed ?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never heard of Eggshell Emulsion. :confused:

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thought OP was using Matt Emuslion on his skirts ? - that can’t be right product can it ?

I’ve got Acrylic Eggshell in garage, used it once, didn’t like the finish. Could be the brand - Leyland

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have used a lot of Albany Acrylic White Eggshell over the years and found it to be reasonably good on walls, woodwork, bathrooms and kitchens.

Theleman likes this.
  14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sorry maybe I got it wrong. My knowledge in paint is nil, hence why I came to get some advice and info. :)

My father inlaw got me some egg shell coat paints, and I used to finish off the plastered wall.

Left overs were used to paint banister, door frames and window frames.

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

What would be good paint for vinyl skirting boards? Is primer a must before painting on the skirting board?