Looking for full-time electrical work - Advice needed after redundancy

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deleted member 176520, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hello,

So Friday I was told that I no longer had a job, and was finished up with immediate effect. So I have decided as I am nearly finished with my Level 2 C&G Electrical Course, that I would pursue a career in the electrical industry as a trainee or mate if possible. Rather than get another job in Development.

I am based in Liverpool, available immediately, and have a clean driving licence and my own car.

If anyone could give me some advice on the best way to gain some experience as a trainee/mate that would be great. As I am available immediately, plus I am starting my Level 3 C&G in February.

Thanks,

Rob

2. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I would start by doing a CV with your age, experience, qualifications and a photo. Put it around all the local wholesalers with your availability, contact details etc. Also SF trade branches. You can get [I think] a list of registered sparks from the various trade reg bodies. Facebook etc. Put yourself about and good luck!

3. That is great, I have a CV with my experience on, plus my Level 2 C&G Qualification, I am looking at doing my Level 3 in February when it becomes available. I will email some wholesalers, and ask if they can provide my CV to any local businesses. I will give Facebook another try also. Would anyone be able to recommend another course I could do in the meantime: http://www.inphaseltd.co.uk/site/category/courses/

Also, how do you go about getting a CSCS Card? And which one would I need?

4. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

No, go there and put it up yourself! Have a chat with staff and any sparks who wander in!! Cant advise on the card but job hunting is a full time job and you have got to get out there. There is nothing to beat face to face!!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sorry about your bad luck - but you seem quite positive and should do well. Just keep on plugging away

all the best

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  6. A few have said that its fine to send over via email. So they have a copy of my CV and details, I have spoke to a few electrical companies, and they have asked for a CV, so if anything comes up they will let me know.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Drop some leaflets into your wholesalers with your cv on it, sending an email just looks lazy

8. I have dropped a copy of my CV into a few in Liverpool.

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. Emailed a lot of local companies my CV, but nothing has come back as of yet. I’m eager to start work.

Would anyone else have any other suggestions?

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would contact one of the local housing associations, Age Concern or one of the home handyman schemes. Whilst you may not get paid initially (you get travelling costs) it does put you in contact with other trades and will provide a really good reference.

11. I have tried that and got nothing back. Thanks though.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Shame, don't give up, something will come through for you

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  13. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

What ever happens, good luck.