Motorcyclist lost his life

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by BikerChris, Sep 25, 2018.

1. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Hey all, just wanted to say my slight delay because a friend was lost in a non-fault RTA, or incident, whatever is PC to call it. Rode with him in from morning to late afternoon, he went out in early evening and didn't come back.

If you ride 2 wheels, powered or not, do people careful people, there are some baddens out there (I'd use a different description, but this forum probably won't allow it). Do think about the whatif's, but do it at a speed that lets you have some margin of slowing down quick, and be prepared for it.

Of course there's still risk with a car, but people that volunteer to ride a bike, don't do it for the risk, but for the achievement of living a good life from their perspective and everyone's perspective on what makes a well used life is different. Some may think stamp collecting is a good use of their existence and I've got no issue with that.

Anyway, that's it. Keep the rubber side down all.

wiggy likes this.
  2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear about your friend Chris.

BikerChris likes this.
  3. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Thank you mate.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Commiserations Chris. Although I now only drive cars, I have to admit, there is something infinitely more enjoyable about riding a motorbike. ;)

BikerChris likes this.
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It may take you a long time to overcome it.

I lost my father in similar circumstances when I was very young and it has stayed with me throughout my life.

Allsorts and BikerChris like this.
  6. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear that Chris. Never nice losing a mate. I've lost a few to bikes over the years and it's gutting

BikerChris likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Seen so many people lost over the years on two wheels. Nothing can ever be said to compensate for a loss.

Sometimes though you know its time to give up. Having survived virtually unscathed in various incidents, my last one was the final straw. Riding my BM on lane 1 on the elevated section of the M4. A car driver sees what he thinks is a gap and swerves into my lane, hitting me sideways. But the guy is so startled, he keeps on going onto the hard shoulder with me along side rubbing me along on the concrete barrier with the fairing and panniers to protect me. So what does the guy do - hits the brakes hard. Over the top of the car I go and roll into the carriageway and was lying there watching this artic approaching - and then he stopped so close I was under the front bumper.

I got up with just a damaged elbow and thought that's someone telling me enough is enough and have never even sat on a bike since

8. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Thank you John, very much appreciated. It is enjoyable, just a shame about the risk.
    Sorry to read about your father mate, no matter how long ago.
    Cheers mate and sorry to read you've had the same.
    Thanks for that mate, it is very sad to lose someone, especially a good egg.

You were really lucky there weren't you, sounds like you made the right decision for sure, scary experience no doubt. I probably should have done the same when I had a head-on a few years ago - 60mph, 80% loss of blood, lots broken, lots of metal, lots of surgery and nearly 3 years of recovery time. I got back on though as soon as my body had recovered enough, never even occurred to me to quit riding. May be later, really can't stand being in a car, stuck in traffic or having hassle parking.

9. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

So sorry about the loss of your friend Chris.
    My father fell through a roof years back, 1967ish and busted both legs very badly. Was taken to Kings college hospital and kept in for a long time. Every bed in his ward was motor bike related accidents, expect more bikes about back then and cars not so good with drum brakes. It had a lasting affect on me seeing these people in traction and put me off bikes even before I was of an age.
    Stay safe Chris

Better 5 minutes late in this world then 50 years to early in the next

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It is utterly tragic, Chris. I hope you can pull something 'good' out of it, even if it's just 'he lived his life the way he wanted to'.

Pollo's story is heart-breaking and Sos's just bludy scary.

But, it's a choice we have. There is nothing that compares with riding a bike, but you know - know - there is that risk.

Kudos to those who reckon it's worth the gamble. I'd love to still have a bike, but the knowledge of the possible consequences would spoil my enjoyment these days.

The really tragic ones are those who are so young that the possibility of death simply doesn't exist in their heads. So when it goes wrong, it's their parents and other loved ones who suffer.

It's hellish, but it is part of life.

11. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Sorry to hear that Chris.

I did get rear ended in 2014 on a red light, the idiot was on a phone I think .

I still ride now, just to much traffic on the roads now, annoyingly only 1 person in car or the dreaded school run, which in most cases is no more then a 15-20 minute walk.

I worked out I saved 6-8 hrs a week plus London congestion and Parking meters

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

So sorry to hear that Chris.
    Biker myself, & as you know we see some terrible things happen on the road.

Don't dwell on it too much, its happened, sad, keep the memories safe in your head.
    Agree with you too, had an off, recover, get back on.

Ride safe & watch out for the cagers.

13. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Sorry to hear, few killed near me in last couple of years. I've decided to keep my sports bike and just do track days. With too many idiots and the ever increasing volume on the roads, i just don't enjoy road riding as much as track, I'm certainly not fast, but knowing if you do come off, you are not going to end up under a truck is appealing to me. I think my little girl would agree too!

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I doubt there are many of us on here who havn't lost a few biking mates over the years. I'm 60 and lost my first friend when we were both 19. Less traffic around then, but we were young and invincible. An RD250 hitting a tree at 70mph then is just as likely to produce the same result as me hitting a tree at 70mph on my 1098s now. The difference though is experience and knowing the time and place to "go for it" and when to back off. Sorry for your loss OP but don't for one min let it put you off of your passion.

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Like you I lost a mate at age 19 - we'd been through school together. Unlike you though, that put me off and I've never got back on a bike since. None of my sons have ever shown an interest and although I would like to think that I haven't discouraged them I suspect that I probably have without realising it. Either way, I'm relieved. They're all in their twenties and only one has bothered to learn to drive. Different times.......

16. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Thanks for your comments Peter, not surprised at all that it put you off bikes. My Uncle still rides (70+ years old) and my grandad did ride, if either of those had been killed or seriously injured, there's no doubt that it would have affected my decision to ride. You're right though, back in those days, vehicle tech wasn't great. What made matters worse was probably the mind set of twenty somethings, who saw how easily life could be lost via their dad's experiences in WW2, so they went a bit 'life is worth living'.

Cheers Allsorts, he did live his life, no doubt about that.

We do all have a choice to do things that are risky, or things that aren't risky at all. He very rarely rode and we found out recently it was caused by a car driver acting recklessly - and had been reported several times during the day already.

Couldn't agree with you more about everything that you've written. I've been to the funeral of a 21 year old biker and that was bloody awful, like anyone of that age, such potential lost.

Cheers Dr Decorator, like you I'm sure, if someone made riding 100% safe, I'd still do it as that's not the reason I do it. It saves a lot of time, nothing to do with the potential speed, but when it comes to traffic jams and parking. Keep the rubber side down mate.

Thanks masterdiy. I'm not dwelling too much and doesn't make me ride less, it's just sureal that we were riding during the day and it happening in the evening. Couldn't believe it when my mate rang. You keep the rubber side down mate.

Cheers Scott, a lot of people I know keep two wheels to the track. When I had my bad crash, a lot of people minimised how much they ride, I think because I ride all year round and they were summer riders, and probably thought if that could happen to me, what are their chances. Keep the rubber side down mate and enjoy those track apex's.

Cheers kitfit, with you on everything you've said. The loss is very sad but it doesn't put me off, I enjoy it too much.

An aside, but the story of a Test pilot I saw on TV once, always amuses me. He drove a Volvo on the road, because he said that the roads are dangerous...and yet thought un-tested aircraft at several thousand feet was comparably OK. I'm sure we all take risks, but we individually decide almost at random, what we're prepared to risk and what we're not.

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear about you loss Chris. I lost my very best mate 40 years ago when his chain came off and threw him under an artic. I currently live on the edge of the Brecon Beacons and see the bikers every weekend.

18. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Thanks Bazza, thanks for commenting. That's very sad about your mate, no fault of his and I'm sure you miss him despite the time that has passed.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The oldest bloke I taught to ride was 73. His daughters persuaded him to take it up as they were fed up of him crashing his microlight! He was a WW2 Polish tank commander and he reckoned he had a charmed life. Him on a 125 was one of the scariest things - he had one speed 40mph, no matter what sort of road or junction he was approaching. It took him 9 months but got his full licence but never saw him again on after the test and always wonder what happened afterwards

chippie244 likes this.
  20. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Wow, fair play that man eh. I did bike instructing briefly, it's scary to watch the little ducklings, that's for sure.

Heavy day today, the funeral went very well, everyone shed a tear. Several hundred bikers, really respectful.