Post Office refused to accept parcel

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by unphased, Sep 28, 2018.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Does anyone know the definitive rules and procedure for getting a parcel accepted for posting? Because I didn't know what was in a parcel given to me by my son to post the lovely smiley unhelpful lady at the post office refused point blank to accept it. I was of course most polite about the situation and accepted it gracefully. Can you imagine.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

They refuse to take devices that contain batteries. If you can't state with conviction that the parcel does not contain batteries then they have been instructed by their higher-ups to refuse it.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That I understand. I tried to reason with the nice helpful lady that there was nothing prohibited inside it. Her colleague was turning her head from side to side accompanied with a face like a wet weekend . Thats the point I am trying to make here. It is none of their business what is in the parcel. As long as you state there is nothing prohibited inside it that should be sufficient. Life is becoming almost intollerable the amount of jobs worths festering in our society.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Royal mail delivered an 18v power tool to me that was defective, so clearly had to go back. The Post Office refused to take back the same parcel they delivered because it had batteries !

teabreak likes this.
  5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Haha thats about the sum of it. Deliver a battery but refuse to take it back. How mad is that.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The Telegraph recently had a series of letters complaining about the counter staff refusing to accept parcels tied up with string. The Royal Mail CEO wrote in response stating that parcels tied with string provided they were secure and properly wrapped were fully acceptable. There were then more letters stating that even after his intervention, staff were still refusing.

Maybe tell them is is a used sex toy going back under warranty!

Heat likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've given up using PO to send parcels, had so much grief,went to PO at 10am, closed morning for training,next day PO closed no trained staff available, I just use Parcel2Go now, choose my carrier, they collect it.
    Sent two 10kg parcels last week, Parcel Force collected them & were the only one to accept them as other carrier items were considered prohibited.
    Item weren't not nothing special just a large quainty of airgun ammo.

https://www.parcel2go.com/

Sister had a clear out of books on Ebay, I sent about 40 parcels in one go with above link, all collected, quick & efficent service.:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    rogerk101 likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

+1 for parcel2go

KIAB likes this.
  9. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

I use Collect plus, you simply drop it off at a nearby corner shop, no hassle. Also Hermes because they take bigger items than most companies.

The thing about prohibited items is that commercial people can send them because they are required to follow the right precautions. For example large pots of paint are prohibited over the counter due to the risk of pots bursting, but commercial firms are allowed to send multiple pots in suitable packaging.

I tried to send an airfix kit to my nephew in Asia, we had to take the paint and glue out of the box before posting. The paint was due to air pressure at altitude causing the posts to burst, and the glue was flammable. The irony is that it was delivered to us by post!

Here's the list - https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-what-can-i-send

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not a prohibited item either - you can send them by Royal Mail. Yet another case of incompetent staff. You can also send firearms and shotguns using RM services too!

I wonder how they would treat "Diamond Cores" - precious stones/jewellery

11. rogerk101

I also always use Parcel2Go and always select Hermes drop off, as I have a drop off point less than a mile away from my home.
    Way better and cheaper than Royal Mail, with tracking on everything I send. Most things fall into the £2.78 category, for which the same service from Royal Mail would cost over £10.

KIAB likes this.
  12. I would never use hermes the are they most useless courier on the planet.

If I am buying something online I contact the retailer/seller to make sure hermes is not the carrier.

Three times they have supposedly called and no one was at home when they were,plus where was the you you were out card.
    A bunch of shysters.

13. rogerk101

I've been using them for at least a couple of times a week, as I declutter my life through eBay selling, and I've never had an item that wasn't delivered to a buyer within 3 days. Excellent tracking all the way.

KIAB likes this.
  14. You have been very lucky then,they are an appalling company and their customer relations are appalling too, doing nothing and trying to fob you off.

15. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

16. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never had a problem using Hermes. either sending or receiving parcels.

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I use MyHermes as there's a drop off place down the road and it is open until 11pm. Fully tracked, cheaper than post office, it is convenient and have had no issues (yet).

With respect to batteries and the Post Office, I understand there is a rule along the lines of...no lithium batteries allowed if on their own, but are allowed (may be up to 2 of them) if the appliance is included. So a cordless drill with battery is OK, but not the battery on its own. I may be mistaken.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.