Joining Screwfix-Trolls and Spammers

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by unphased, Sep 28, 2018.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

This is aimed at Screwfix Peter in particular.

How do people who are only interested in stirring up the mood of the forum manage to get on it in the first place? Why do you make it so easy for spammers and trolls to successfully register in the first place? I cannot believe you blame US for behaving in a certain manner when quite frankly Screwfix allow such individuals as spammers and trolls easy access to registration. There is a simple procedure used by most 'proper' organisations these days that verify the person before he or she is able to register. Does the name and address match, for example. Using emails as a verification process is pointless. Anyone can make up an email instantly and discard it just as instantly. Use actual address information and check against a debit card or credit card before allowing anyone to register. If you don't improve your registration process then its not OUR fault we get in to petty arguments and use offensive language is it? :) Even make them wait for a few days to give you time to verify them.

KIAB likes this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A bit OTT unphased. Most people wouldn't be bothered with all that malarkey, and would be suspicious... I would.

Just ignore the trolls.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

From my point of view there is no point Peter complaining to us about the tone and content of posts when its so easy to join the forum. If anyone can easily join he needs to accept the consequence.

4. Broon

Broon Active Member

Unphased I can see where your coming from but Facebook is full of trolls and spammers and they have a lot more money to implement improvements on their site for security. Address checks can't really happen as they would need to have access to that information which they can't. An option to use may be adding a second check which is say a code text to a mobile number this would probably hinder them but its the age we live in you can't really escape trolls or spammers.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Which is why he moderates the forum. You were moaning in another thread about not be able to post a parcel...

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Unphased OTT, certianly not,all very valid points.

You want to see what some of the trolls posted on my profile,not printable,makes filth look clean, & I'm not the only one singled out for it.
    You cannot expect SFP to patrol this forum 24/7, he has already removed PM's,which so bludy annoying,need to sort out this mod thing,I ranted on before about this in a similar thread, (can't find it).

Here: https://community.screwfix.com/threads/trolls-out-early-tonight.203838/#post-1633381

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

UP, I love you man, but I think in this case there is no simple solution, and SFPete manages that fine line between ridding the site of trolls (stop it, you) as soon as he can whilst also making it easy and welcoming to join.

He is also fair enough to tell folk on here how to behave - even tho' he does target me unfairly.

ONLY KIDDING :)

Anyhoo, I'm rarely on here late at night so only see the resulting carnage caused by these trolls the following day, not what they've actually posted at the time, so I suggest everyone on here goes to bed at a suitable time like me.

cough.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

For a minute I thought you meant that you get away with so much that it's unfair on the rest of us.......

retiredsparks, Allsorts and KIAB like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

OTT as in needing credit card verification to be able to post.

Most members of the public wanting to ask a casual question will soon trot on to the next diy forum and post, that is the reality. No posts, no forum.

Allsorts likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I know that SF Peter can't be on duty full time but can't there be a backup that if a certain number of troll reports come in then that member can't post till the mods come in?

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

The answer is perhaps for initial posts from potential new members to be moderated before they are posted.

That happens on other forums.

Cando

teabreak and Allsorts like this.
  12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes, that's a common method. Damned annoying if you want a quick answer tho'!

But, a good solution.

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Like kiab had some disgusting comments about my grandkids absolute parasite

KIAB likes this.
  14. WillyEckerslike

What I haven't figured is how a troll that was posting last night managed to get to 'member' status. I'm assuming they were a troll - they've disappeared now.

15. Broon

Broon Active Member

I think it all depends on how much post/ your activity so my assumption would be he or she was a busy wee troll.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

It's not the trolls that annoy me...it's the regular members;:)
    Obviously many are blocked..deservedly......like dogs.
    :cool:
    Rs

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I agree with you, RS.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

I doubt RS is going to see that DA but I think you knew that already.

Allsorts likes this.
  19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whoever the troll is has a good idea about the flaws in the SF system as it can bypass them at will but obviously has an early bedtime and not enough homework to keep them busy.