Cheap plugs with plastic pins on work tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Sep 23, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Disagree.

Use 240v nearly 40 years, aint been electrocuted yet.

Also still have a few 110v tools,but I consider them more dangerous as you need higher currents for the same tool, & I've have a few nasty belts from 110v over the years, & it still hurts like hell.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's the amps that kill you not the volts.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry for inpugning you but I'm not being told I'm a diyer because I use 230V :oops::oops:

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Seems to I need to explain how does it go with 230
    There are plenty of videos, that show electricians falling of a ladder upon mishap etc, but not many do realise it is preplanned way out of "seizure". Vast majority could die if IE body weight doesn't pull away from live wires. Nothing to do with thinking or will about it when it actually happens.
    One memorable incident:
    Customer house, who will be painting themselves, having had load of carpentry done, got a pro-bono, me pulling out switch and socket covers live... Not a buggy 5 mins job, right?
    One double cover isn't coming out, with screws undone, so bit of a wringgle, whilst kneeling-sitting and caboom- both arms locking on to it ~0.3s
    Another 0.3s brain is screeming, for the way out, but not just arms, now chest and even legs are seized up
    0.3s trying to let bleeding thing out of my arms- nope, only squeeze harder on to it.
    Another 0.3s (or 5s... Don't know) beginning to regain conciousnes on a side looking at a damn socket.
    Simply down to being kneeling unevenly I fallen on to a side away from the wall-socket, pulling live wire out, cover is hanging on two wires, brown one being pulled out of connection point, making me able to tell you about it.
    Ask electricians, they'll surely be able to explain to you being lucky to have had your sander in 110, it is enough of a difference to say jolt or very likely last mishap to anybody.

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Actually combination of two

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not. I'm not and it's really hard to get electrocuted in nice modern heated houses with roofs and windows and coffee machines and roads and all the stuff you don't get on building sites.

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Only DIY voltage tool I use is heat gun, as 110 are not gutsy enough.
    I didn't (even if I did), imply you being DIYer, but using 230 tools is not good practice for experienced tradesman

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You live in your 110V world and I'll live in the rest of Europe.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Rubbish.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've been exposed to thousands of volts at milliamps, it just gives you a stiffy.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

WAV, PIE, WHOOSH. :p:p:p

12. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Surely the DIY or professional question is answered when the reasons for using 110v from a transformer is realised!
    The fact that the 110v are probably used outside of the Earthing zones, and in all weathers(building sites).
    The 230v for secure areas(as in finished properties, inside the zones and weather-proofed).
    Neither DIY or professional exclusively.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bluddy ell HA, I can't agree with you more.
    I don't know what to think now.
    I'll go to the bog and have a read of the Guardian and get back to you. :):)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Correct.

15. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Attached Files:

16. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Self explanatory actual power possibilities to be electrecuted or not

Attached Files:

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I explained that on #111 but you needed a diagram :)

18. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Me needing... What? :D

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A diagram, I think the root of the word is Greek,

20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Can not simplify furthermore