Air guns for target shooting

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Heat, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Thinking of buying an air powered rifle and/or hand gun for target shooting.
    The possibilities are confusing.
    Anyone have experience or recommendations?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Not sure...but when you do buy one....I can personally recommend some targets.
    ;)
    Rs

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Lol :D

A lot of the potential "Targets" on here though don't list a location....................so could be a bit hard to hit.

retiredsparks and Heat like this.
  4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I used to own Webley rifles and a pistol, not any more although I do have a baseball bat.
    Webley were always a good reliable make. Chap I used to go shooting with had a Crossman which was a pump up rifle, the release of compressed air as opposed to a spring in a more conventional rifle means no recoil whatsoever, and very powerful..

If I were buying again, I would definitely look at pump up, options are a pump lever on the rifle, a separate hand/foot pump or co2 cartridges. I don't know what the pros/cons are of each type but there must be some air rifle forums about, and some good magazines.

Heat likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have a choice of two calibres .177 or .22, would go for a break barrel spring rifle, as you can paper punch out to 40 yards or so, where as pistol is 15-20 yards range before pellet drops off.
    Also very limited range of pistols around.

Would look at Weihrauch,BSA,or Webley.

Looking for new new or secondhand weapon, there two magazines you can find in newsagents, Airgun World & Airgunner.

Where about are you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I am quite prepared to give Mr H the money for the gun and spend as much time as needed locating said targets for him.
    :)
    Look up rat hunting vids...they use some nice kit.

Rs

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have read about different types of air guns, but still confusing.
    The CO2 powered guns obviously have the added cost of the CO2 cartridges and they lose power in cold conditions.
    The air tank guns seem to be one good option.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Precharged rifle, cylinder charged from a diving bottle, rifles cost a fortune, had a Daystate, cost about £600.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

My friends rifle had a lever under the barrel, 7-10 pumps for a single shot which was a little tedious, but this was nearly 40 years ago so the tech has changed a lot since then.

11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Air Arms is another brand.
    From what I have seen on YouTube and read about, are a very good air gun manufacturer and British.
    I am in NI, which means need a licence for any gun, including any proper air guns, but not a problem.
    Strangely it is legal to buy real hand guns here - 9mm Glock for example, if you are a gun club member.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Showing you age now,most likely Sharp Ace or Innova.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Air Arms are darn expensive nowadays sadly.

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, unless I am lucky enough to find a good second hand one.
    It would be cheaper to buy a real .22 rifle (bullet firing rifle).
    They have a very long range, which is obviously unnecessary and more dangerous if just target shooting

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

.22 rimfire.

Heat likes this.
  17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I would find that tedious. I am used to an under lever spring air rifle - and a break barrel spring air rifle, both obviously one pull.
    The accuracy of some of the modern guns is just incredible and makes the old guns so outdated.

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, I was going to type rimfire, but wasn’t really sure why they are called that, so didn’t use the word.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Many years ago use to have HW77 which was a underlever & a open breech loading,nasty thing,quite a few peeps ended up getting their finger squished, if weapon was discharged during loading.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  20. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's OK KIAB, he's a plumber.
    Air Arms do look like a quality gun, and I like the sound of PCP, pre charged pneumatic, a good pump up then at least 10 shots, maybe more.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Arms/I/All-Guns-for-sale

DIY womble and Heat like this.