Dulux diamond eggshell streaky

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by white rabbit, Oct 7, 2018.

1. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Hi all.
    Bought some dulux trade diamond eggshell to paint the bathroom (painting over existing colour).
    For cutting in and tight spots I was using a brush and roller everywhere else.
    Looking at the first coat after drying there are a lots of heavy brush marks.
    Just wondering best way to deal with them before I go for a second coat?
    Will I need to wait for this coat to fully dry out before trying to sand?
    Just wondering what best options are
    Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not unusual as more than likely be ok after the second coat.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am by no means a pro but got the same when doing doors and woodwork in the kitchen with diamond eggshell. I thinned it down by about 10% and found I got on with it much better. Astra is the pro.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When I cut in with a brush, I immediately roll over the area with a 4” roller, as tight as can be, just a little paint on roller so you end up with same texture as main wall areas

As you’ve found, using a brush with emuslion gives a different texture (brush marks) to using a roller

Looks terrible when you have say 2” brush marks from cutting in around door frames, ceiling junction, light switches, etc

If your brush marks are heavy, possibly loaded too much paint on brush / not spread paint out enough / paint is too thick /

These marks will likely show up through a rollered finish, unless you use a very heavy roller and again, too much paint

Would suggest sanding down brush marks with P120 paper. Then try cutting in with the brush and 4” roller method

Give it a try and report back - good luck :)

5. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks folks!
    Like the idea of the brush and 4" roller method!
    How long should I wait before sanding down the marks (only applied the paint yesterday)?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What brush are you using?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would recommend using a quailty paint brush like the Purdy Monarch Elite, not cheap, but it transforms painting,especially with water based paint..

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix are selling on offer a set of 5 Harris synthetic brushes for under £10 ..........will be a good purchase.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Paint will be ready to sand in around 4 hours would have thought, water based dries quick

So cut in with a brush, usually something like 2”, don’t lash the paint on too thick, just have to get a feel for it and brush the paint out. Immediately, (and I mean immediately) roll over brushed area just once with 4” roller and not too much paint. Get as close as you can to door frame, ceiling. Etc. This will leave a similiar texture to rollering the main wall sections and do away with the vast majority of brush width marks

From cutting in, you want to leave the same texture as your main roller leaves, so all areas blend in nicely and nothing stands out

Trouble is, each tool you use for painting will leave a slightly differant texture to the next. So match small and large rollers as close as you can. Ie, a short or medium pile roller will leave much less texture than a heavy, fluffy roller

As paint is drying, it gets tacky so after cutting in, if you then roller over to quickly with 9” roller, you will leave a heavy texture like orange peel in the paint - not good :eek:

Same as when people have a bad habit of going back to painted section of wall and rollering over it again, few minutes later, for no apparent reason :confused: not necessary

Cut in a whole wall at a time, skirts, ceiling, sockets, door frames, etc, with brush and 4” roller

Then go back to where you started, armed with your 9” roller (or 12” if you fancy)

Cut in areas should feel dry to the touch, so ok to hit with the ‘big guns’ now

If feeling tacky, allow some more time to dry

I’m diy me, done a fair bit of decorating over the years and am fussy with all I do. We all developed our own working methods, in all walks of life (if job allows) and I’ve found this method works for me

Not saying it’s the ‘law’, but it’s good for me :)