Woodworking machinery safety

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by aarrttyy, Oct 6, 2018.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

:D :D :D

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

But that's not the same as business premises being covered by Health and Safety regs.

I don't think the HSE would investigate if I had an accident. Genuinely.

I am telling you for absolutely certain John that sole trader workshops have zero input from the HSE.

I have a 700 odd sq ft industrial unit with single and three phase supply and have done for maybe 13 years.

Other units on my estate have all kinds of checks. Food hygiene etc etc.

When the smoking ban came in we all had visits, I told them I was a sole trader, they told me I wasn't covered by the law.

It is classed as private premises.If there are no employees and no danger to the general public the HSE are not interested.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That's insane. Plenty of 240v kit about. 110v is only in site. Even then 240v isn't illegal as long as its on an RCD as far as i know.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Alv has a bit of a thing about voltage and plugs.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What a load of nonsense.

Lots of proper high end stuff is 240v.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmmm , I’d be very wary GB. If a visitor did have an accident whilst in your premises, such that they were unable to work for three days or more, it would be reported to the HSE. If not by them, then an A&E dept might have a duty to report it ?
    Edit, just had a look on the HSE website, and it does seem you are exempt, but further reading on the same site seems to suggest it’s a bit of a grey area. If a visitor to your workshop were injured, they might enforce action under the “ potential risk of injury” bit in their wording.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It surprises many people that you can have absolute monsters of machines on a professional basis with zero input from the HSE. I have a 3 phase 315mm main blade and 120mm scriber panel saw, a 250mm planer thicknesser etc etc. And if I want to use them with no guards while wearing no PPE and not linking up to an extractor I can.

I don't actually agree with it. I think its crazy.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, all extremely dangerous machines. I take it you have all the guards in place and extraction turned on whilst using them ( wearing appropriate ppe) ;)

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Use a dustmask some of the time.

Occasionally safety glasses

Occasionally ear defenders

Always steel toecaps.

Always have extraction on.

Guards always on planer.

Guards never on panel saw.

chippie244 likes this.