A slice of common sense

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Heat, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Its the right decision. Although I think religion is an absurd delusion, every one has a right to express their beliefs and not be forced to say things that they do not believe in.

No different to a hair dresser refusing to shave the sign of a swastika on my head if I asked for it (not that I'm that way inclined). Presumably also means publishers/printers can refuse work if the content of the work is against their beliefs. The decision will have impact on other areas for sure.

Allsorts, KIAB and Heat like this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, publishers and printers now have the right to refuse to produce anything that they might find goes against their beliefs.
    That bakery chain and it’s owners are extremely highly respected.
    They were against being involved in suppport of gay marriage, as is their right, but not against serving any person or group.
    Very good judgement.
    I am certain a Muslim bakery refusing to do a slogan would have been given more slack with the law

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

At last common sense prevails.:)

Heat likes this.
  5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Extremely highly respected?

By whom?

By prehistoric religious bigots?

Allsorts likes this.
  6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Heat likes this.
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Presumably you haven't actually read the article you linked to.

Because it states Tatchell respects the ruling not the views of the bakery.

My comment had nothing to do with the ruling.

Simply Heat's claim that the bakers were extremely highly respected.

Possibly only inside the kinds of communities that oppose gay marriage for religious reasons

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Yes, I know.
    I was drawn in by your comment they could only be respected by 'prehistoric religious bigots'.

bigotry
    [big-uh-tree]
    See more synonyms for bigotry on Thesaurus.com
    noun, plural big·ot·ries.
    1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Heat likes this.
  9. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Yes I read it, and I note Peter Tatchell was able to write a good balanced article, putting across both sides of the argument without calling anyone a 'prehistoric religious bigot'.

You could learn a lot from him GB.

longboat and Heat like this.
  10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

How could the courts find any other way.
    The baker had the same rights as the gay couple in its views.
    Why should the gay couple veiw be more prominent than the bakers, both of them are equal even though opposite.

DIY womble, Heat and KIAB like this.
  11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Succinct and spot on, Hans.

I have to admit that when this case first came to light, my initial feeling was that the bakers were wrong to 'discriminate' like that, based as it was on nutty religious bigotry (which, let's be frank, it was). But, it is as you say - everyone has a right to express their beliefs (within reason...) and no-one should be forced to say or do things they do not believe in (again, ditto).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Hans_25, Heat and fillyboy like this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

(1) Yes. Test that if you are in doubt.

(2) Respected by people that know the bakery owners or who are customers at the many branches of the Ashers Bakery, or buy their products that are also in other stores.
    That is across all people of all religions.
    Very good high standard products and a well run business.
    That alone deserves respect.

(3) Who are you thinking of that you label “prehistoric religious bigots” because they highly admire Ashers business and the owners?
    Recognising how decent and genuine the owners are and what a good business they have does not require you to have total agreement on the business owners religious beliefs.

Ashers human rights on being able to refuse to do a slogan that went against their religious (Christianity) belief was most important.

13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Almost a good point well made, until you said daft things like ' the owners are extremely highly respected'. I mean, why should they be? Because they believe in invisible beings? The supernatural? Ghosts? A one true gawd?

They can believe what they want, but they are not entitled to 'respect' for it.

Sadly, you've shown your true colours again. Heat, would you have said the same thing had the bakery owners been Catholic?

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Ah, Filly was giving his approval to Tatchell's opinion? Phew.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am happy to stand by what I say.

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You were commenting that they were 'extremely highly respected' due to their business acumen? Or the quality of their buns?

Cool. I see.

You do understand you are as transparent as a transparent thing, don't you Heat?

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

And I'm happy to stand right behind you, GB.

Not too close, y'undertstand, 'cos some folks could think we're a bit youknowwhat and not bake us a cake... :oops:

18. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Here we go again.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I thought part of the doctrine these dinosaurs so rigidly adhere to was that homosexuals (as they love to say with venom) have made a choice to be gay.

Because isn't the argument that God can never create evil as all humanity is created in his image.

Therefore being gay is an opinion surely? And certainly their opposition is stubborn and of complete intolerance.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Or bake the cake and refuse to ice it.