A slice of common sense

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Heat, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You started it pal.

Probably.

I blame you anyways...

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

At the end of the day its not going to end the world that these dinosaurs wont bake a cake.

To be honest the shop and the activists were both looking for publicity and were grandstanding.

They are entitled to their opinion.

I too am entitled to my opinion that they are wrong in their beliefs.

Allsorts likes this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Captain Contrary is always looking for someone to oppose.

Probably spends most of his time arguing with himself.

4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Oh no he doesn't.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The USA there was a case where a bakery censored a cake, it was ordered to include the words S u m m a - C u m - L a u d e which means "with highest distinction" and that was deemed offensive and unacceptable, they still delivered the cake but without the correct icing!

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Allsorts, tell me how does my accurate comment saying the Ashers bakery and owners are extremely highly respected, have a direct connection to do with their religious beliefs?
    You must have misunderstood my post.
    It meant just they are a highly respected business, end of. Always have been and long before this cake.

Although I will say if you DO add in the Ashers religious lifestyle and belief and how it might just impact how their business might be viewed, it actually is very positive.

Allsorts, I think you are showing your true colours of leftie type of thinking.
    The Ashers business will have all religions. Perhaps you are not aware of their business.
    If they had been owned by a Catholic couple, I still would 100% agree with their right to refuse anything against their religion. In fact, I would not even bring their particular type of Christian religion into it.
    Actually the Catholic Church did give support to the Ashers.

You should look at the real bigots who now have been shown up.
    Yes, the prehistoric bigots who went against Ashers rights to get the gay sympathy vote from as many idiots who could not see that they were being manipulated.
    Yep, Sinn Fein and the other suspects.
    But guess that is my bias.

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yes, your entitled to your opinion that they are wrong in their beliefs. The law says though that everyone is entitled to be able to believe in what they want to.
    To be honest, how on earth this whole shambles ever got this far in the first place beggers belief. Any sane person (gay or not) being told by a business that they would not fulfill an order for whatever reason, would simply go elsewhere. If the couple that started all this twaddle had done that in the first place, millons of pounds of "our" money wouldn't have been wasted lining the pockets of already very wealthy lawyers.

Jord86 and Heat like this.
  8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Not long watched this on Channel 4 news. They had Tatchell on and some chap from Northern Ireland Rainbow group. The chap from NI had the strange idea that printing companies who print party political posters etc, only print those of the party they support. I thought they printed them to make a profit. ;);)

retiredsparks and Heat like this.
  9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A reasonably successful Bakery becomes well known by every person due to the nature of the business.
    Not only do they have Ashers bakery shops all over NI, but their products are in lots of other stores and forecourt shops unconnected to Ashers.
    Their products are high standard.
    I know, I have sampled them.

This is why they are highly respected, - because they are known to everyone and have great products consistently and create employment.
    Big respect to anyone who can operate a company for years to such a high standard and be successful.
    Not easy I am sure.

You are very transparent Allsorts.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

That Rainbow chap is an idiot.
    Human rights are always only for his side.
    The political poster argument he makes is a nonsense.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Originally I was against Ashers point of view but Peter Thatchell's argument was very persuasive.

Heat likes this.
  12. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

retiredsparks and DIY womble like this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Funny how everything boils down to Sinn Fein for you isn't it.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I listened to a reasoned argument, weighed up the points made and changed my mind.
    It's called being a rational human being, you ought to try it sometime time.

Hans_25 likes this.
  15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Funny how the Republican and also Nationalist politicians support boils down to being united in support for anything that might grab a vote or two isn’t it?

Especially where anything gives them the opportunity of being anti British.
    But in this case it was not.
    It was just the usual local whiter than white (or should I say, pinker than pink?) pretence of taking a side that might gain them the votes.

Yes, Allsorts does say I might have a bias, so I might as well show one.
    It wasn’t only Sinn Fein, but they were the most likely party to benefit from extra votes (no matter how small).
    I also include the SDLP.
    How possible is it for these parties to be united somehow in only seeing one side?
    Prehistoric bigotry would describe that gameplay surely.

Thankfully even the Catholic Church didn’t fully agree with the above parties and did give verbal support to Ashers rights.

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Ok, fair do's, Heat. My bad - I is soz.

You said they were "extremely highly respected" because of their buns.

Strangely emphatic praise, but hey. You like buns. A lot. Espec theirs.

Heat likes this.
  17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You have to give Tatchell his dues; he doesn't shirk from any human rights issue, from challenging - and being threatened by - Mugabe's thugs to Putin's.

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Thank you Allsorts.
    I was genuinely just saying they are a great company. Nobody really thinks of the religion of Ashers family, - well, until recent times.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was surprised by his views but by listening to what he said it made sense, it's not like he's got a record of kowtowing.

20. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I too was initially against the bakers, but I didn't understand the issue properly.

It is not about refusing to serve a person of any particular sexual orientation, but being asked to make a product which has a certain message on it. Its about the cake, not the customer.

A more interesting case would be if a printer, say a Christian, refuses to print copies of the Quran, or a Muslim printer refusing to print copies of the Christian bible or Torah.

Allsorts likes this.