Depression still most common in construction

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Oct 10, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Still surprising that construction remains the industry where mental ill health is most acute.

I know from a previous post that some forum members have struggled with this issue. I have been fortunate and not suffered depression but seen so many people that have suffered various mental health issues over the years, some with quite tragic outcomes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45786202

Allsorts and Iron_Mike like this.
  2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Sad state of affairs.

Construction does tend to attract alpha male characters who wouldn't want to discuss problems they are facing.

Hopefully it is an issue that can be managed and the death rate falls.

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I've often thought it's people with " fitting in" problems are often driven to the path of self employment

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've certainly suffered from depression, mainly SAD but I also had B12 deficiency which didn't help anything.
    Learning to get out in the sun, jabs and tablets were good as was CBT.
    As DIY says the self employed are probably people who don't fit in but these are sometimes lovely freethinking people but they can also be the nasty, narrow minded bullies who infest these pages who will soon be using this post to accuse me of something.
    Just be your best.

goldenboy, Sparkielev and Jord86 like this.
  5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Everyone's fav plumber (well, JJ's and mine at least) was relating a sad tale on his forum about a fellow plumber - a young cove he was handing more and more work to as his own knees were grumbling too much - suddenly taking his own life, leaving wife and kids behind I believe.

What really got him was how, just a few days before, he made a point of thanking him for all the work he put his way; he seemed quite upbeat.

This had a similar ring to it with a local case here where a highly-thought-of young man who'd devoted himself to teaching sports to youngsters took his own life after a period of depression. This followed an RTA where I think someone was killed, although this young man wasn't at all to blame. What struck everyone was how he had finally seemed to have escaped the gloom shortly before jumping from Torridge Bridge. It seems that it's quite common for folk to have this sense of release and calm when they've finally made 'the decision', and this is understandably confused with them having 'got over it'.

Sadly not.

If you have any concerns about someone, keep an eye out for such signs.

longboat, Sparkielev and Jord86 like this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Self employment is tough but rewarding, you meet all kinds of people were your mood can go from happy to fuming in seconds, but most wouldn't have it any other way

7. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Echo your sentiments completely.
    Unfortunately, not easy to do.
    Lost my eldest daughter to depression for three years.
    Fortunately I have her back now.

Wish you all well.

PhilSo

Allsorts and DIY womble like this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I can see why peeps would think that and have met peeps that just wouldn't be employable, so have no choice but to be self employed. The thing is though, most self employed peeps don't fall into that category because even as self employed they would run out of work fairly quickly.
    You still need to "fit in" to a large extent, it's just that as you are self employed you can fit in on your own terms and not terms dictated by an employer. Before i became a kitchen fitter (30 years ago), i was a freelance sound engineer. I used to regularly work with a lighting engineer that i got on very well with. He was always withdrawn though and it was hard work having any sort of meaningful conversation with him. He simply dived of off a lighting rig in Daytona during a set up for a concert..................i saw him do it from the mixing tent. I didn't know then what i know now, but he was a manic depressive. Peeps are very good at hiding depression, because of what i know now, i may have been able to help him. But of course, at that time i was younger and didn't even know depression existed. If our industry is as bad as mentioned for mental health issues, then maybe it's about time some of the big boys, yes you BOVIS, PERSIMMON, WIMPY ect started to take ownership of this and turn it around.

Allsorts and PhilSo like this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Construction is a very difficult profession to be immersed in, day in and day out. Being self employed starts the stress ball rolling even before a days work commences, trying to find and quote/tender for work in order to earn money and keep a roof over ones head, or to provide for a family, or to keep employees in their job. Weekends with loved ones mean nothing if there's work available on those two days that may not be there on other working days. Not everyone has a safety net of a partners income to ride them through the bad times.

An encyclopaedia of knowledge is required in order to do the job correctly, cleanly, safely, on time, on budget, whilst dealing with the quirks and foibles of other human beings/paying customers, and with all that achieved you still may not get paid at the end. I'm sure every tradesman on here has either had to deal with someone trying to rip them off or at the very least know someone in that position, more stress, sleepless nights, burning anger, all round mentally damaging unpleasant feelings that are difficult to let go fully.

Being a predominantly macho profession through whatever design unfortunately means that many of its workers would never admit that they may be struggling with things, situations, substances, feelings, which a lot of the time sadly leads to bigger issues, some so far down the line that it changes the person permanently, and those around them. Ironically in my opinion, the most macho thing to do is stuff what everyone else thinks and make a bit of time for the person who doesn't seem right in themselves, I'm not saying get the hankies out but an ear to listen to someone else problems for a few minutes can make all the difference. The thought that something could have been avoided is almost as tragic as the action itself.

Do what you can, when you can, for those you see facing difficulties, you may not get a second shot.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I don'if there is a tendency for more self employed to suffer depression but it could be down to keeping the money coming in and working through injuries.

The problem with a lot of jobs is that as soon as you have been classed with any version of mental health issues, it can lead to a number of jobs becoming unavailable and more scrutiny on your decisions and actions

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Very strange that Filly and Philso both like this post.

12. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Why?

I thought it a very carefully worded and sincere post.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep.

Fully agree.

Doing the choirboy act on here while simultaneously ganging up together and rounding on someone like a pack on another topic.

Classless hypocrites

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It was

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, I remember Tomp relating that sad story.

One thing about suicide ( and we all have to do what’s called a VISA course at work, about potentially suicidal patients) is that the vast majority of suicides are actually done on impulse. Not that many are actually planned to be followed right through to reality. There’s a couple of good videos on YouTube , including one chap who threw himself off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and lived. He now counsels people suffering from depression.

Allsorts likes this.
  16. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

We can agree on one topic and disagree on another.
    It's called freedom of choice.
    Now you're being offensive.

PhilSo

17. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

If you want to start a thread vilifying me , by all means do.

Please don't taint this one.

PhilSo

longboat likes this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

From my own experience with people at work, it is very much the person that seems to be ok on the surface but deep down quite troubled that end up on the critical edge. Sometimes the more withdrawn unemotional people are just that, everything washes over them and they don't get affected - the trouble is you can never tell how they are feeling

19. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

If the human mind was simple enough for us to understand it....we couldn't.
    RS

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It is.

But why don't you read, absorb and act
    Mental health is a serious issue. And needs to be discussed more.

But if you are going to involve yourself in ganging up on other people and associating with people who routinely use mental health as a method of mockery you have to expect it to be raised.

If you feel that is tainting this thread so be it.

I am not vilifying you I am simply pointing out the deeply unpleasant undercurrent on here at present.

The attacks from a certain group who you have clearly decided to associate with are relentless.

It spoils the entire atmosphere on here.