Can I unplug this to add a three way plug?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrM, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MrM

MrM Member

This is underneath the stairs cupboard.

After a quick Google of the details on the plug, it appears to be Lectros Damp Proofing system.
    (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LECTROS-...LUG-ELECTRO-OSMOSIS-OSMOTIC-DPC-/130567177153)

Where in the property would this equipment be servicing?

I note the green LED on the front is not illuminated.

I could really do with removing this for a few moment to put in a 3way plug extension, as I wish to feed a lamp on the outside of the cupboard for the hallway.

Can anyone advise me more about this equipment, if it's in use, and if it can perhaps be removed?

I have used a electricity testing pen, and it did not pick up any live around the plug.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

it would be servicing the damp proofing is the unit warm or any lights on it because it looks like its past its best i would say its safe to unplug it while you do the work needed is it plugged in or hardwired in if its plugged in see if there is a fuse in the plug, just think when you have a power cut nothing happens to it so it would be the same as a power cut by you turning the power off for a little while. i googled damp proofing and that unit came up. hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. MrM

MrM Member

Thanks, with that in mind, I just disconnected it and removed it. Socket faceplate looks burnt, and after testing, appears it is dead.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next job, is to work out where the TWE is terminated, as I really could have used that socket on that side!.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I would try and get the power reinstated and get the damp proof system going again.

PS I have no idea if these types of damp proofing system is effective, but it won't do any harm..

5. spirits are real 2016

could you take a picture of the actual wires going in the socket if its a single t&e going in it could be a radial from the consumer unit or a spur from a junction box or another socket.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Or from an FCU in another room - maybe a room that has been refurbished and someone said "what's that FCU doing? _ don't know, lets take it out......."

7. spirits are real 2016

good thinking (sorry i didn't think of that one)

8. MrM

MrM Member

I would guess that it is a spur, reason so is the CU has no radials, only rings.

[​IMG]

I'll do some more investigating shortly, but testing the DPC plug in an extension lead, this doesn't light up, so the DPC plug may be dead/disfunctional - so that's a different matter.

Tonight I'll take the floor up in the cubby hole and explore where the fused spur may come from.

I've checked the nearest downstairs single socket and it that is forming part of a ring, so not a spur from there. So the search goes on!

Will update you later, thank you all.

9. spirits are real 2016

have you checked your tester in a live socket to confirm it is working.

10. MrM

MrM Member

Yes, so socket is dead, I think as you guys mentioned it's possibly been cut/disconnected from another socket. Will explore later on when I get home.

11. spirits are real 2016

good luck

MrM likes this.
  12. EZ Tutty

EZ Tutty Member

13. MrM

MrM Member

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I had a feeling about that, when i posted
    Maybe the previous people read the article too!

So i guess, its rip out the Lectros and find somewhere from which to power the socket.

15. MrM

MrM Member

The conclusion I had reached too!

Will be coming out tonight.

16. MrM

MrM Member

Well it's good news, not sure how, but this is fed directly from the CU, although not operated by any of the MCBs.

I turned the power off, tested for live, once I knew it was dead I took off the socket plate and just cleaned and neatened up the cores, re-secured and after turning power back on, the socket was live!

[​IMG]

Anyway, all connected and working fine. Just finish the painting lay the floor and put some **** on top of it now.

Thanks once again chap!

17. spirits are real 2016

you will need to find out where in the consumer unit it is being fed from to make sure it is protected.

18. MrM

MrM Member

Will take the cu cover and check tomorrow. Suspect it is not.

19. spirits are real 2016

please be careful i have seen them wired direct to the incoming tails before. so always live

MrM likes this.
  20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Before taking the cover off, flick the main switch to off and test whether the socket is live.
    If it’s not turn main switch back on and try flicking each MCB off in turn to see if that has any effect.
    It’s possible someone ran a spur from an MCB.