3rd Amendment Tails Entry

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DanielQ, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

No is clear to see, to any one that reads this thread that I’m talking about YOU. You are finally backing down and resorting to your usual manner/playground tactics style of posting.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I’m not backing down. All that’s happening is your just trying to point score. Why bother? You won’t debate the point properly even though you fully comprehend what I’m telling you. It’s there in black and white. There’s little in value that I can add to that.

3. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Yes you are certainly correct with this point...So why do you bother?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would but as stated everyone gets annoyed reports us and we get banned. That’s ok for you as you can just come back as another user. I’m afraid I’m rather too fond of my own to loose it for good. But sure don’t get me wrong, if I could debate this I sure would. But I cannot so that’s that.

5. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Of course! Have a good evening :confused:

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

For a millisecond yes. You do not need to consider fault currents for eddy currents as they are too short lived to be of any consequence. I stand by my comments.

7. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Do you mark it as a deviation on your test certs when you carry out an installation in this manner?

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Do you mark it as a deviation if it's SWA with a parallel earth?

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Bazza,

I just can't agree that the main earth conductor is 'an appropriate protective conductor' associated with tails. Tails are not 'circuits' as defined by the Regs. Tails bring power to a distribution board or CU where the power is then divided up in to circuits. Even if the tails are considered to be a circuit, how does this include the main earth as being an appropriate protective conductor? I just can't see it. I get all the stuff about keeping every circuit enclosed within the same enclosure ie within the same DB or CU but why does everybody arguing for the case to put main earth and tails through the same hole do so? What benefit is to be gained? If you look at all the diagrams of the different earth types in the front of the On-Site guide none of the diagrams show the main earth entering the CU at the same point as the tails. Why would this be any different for a metal CU? The main earth is not part of the tails. Not wishing to upset anyone here I just can't see the justification nor technical reason for putting main earth and tails through the same hole. Both tails, yes, but not the main earth as well. It is often the case that they are but this is just neatness and ease of wiring isn't it?

10. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Why would that be a deviation? Regulation 521.5.1 states the requirements do not preclude the use of an additional protective conductor in parallel with the steel wire armouring of a cable where such is required to comply with the requirements of the appropriate regulations in Chapters 41 and 54. It is permitted for such an additional protective conductor to enter the ferrous enclosure individually.

As the regulation explicitly states this then it’s impossible for it to be a deviation.

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I suppose the theory is that under a fault condition there would be current flowing in the MEC but that certainly wouldn't be happening for long enough to cause heating would it.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Up

Yes, I agree. But when you read the regulation it is worded in such a way that includes the earth conductor. Why? I haven't a scooby! But unfortunately not to do it is a deviation.

Kind regards

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Seems daft to me you can do it if it's a parallel earth with swa. Does the electric work differently somehow? :)

14. Bazza-spark

No @Coloumb. With SWA the armour is connected via the gland so is using the same entry. If you add an extra cable it is in parallel to the armour.

Kind regards

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Even if it went through a totally separate hole to the steel cpc?

16. Bazza-spark

Yes mate.

Because the armour forms the primary earth, any separate earth can enter however it likes.

Nuts, aint it.

Kind regards

Coloumb likes this.
  17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

289E56C8-36E8-41A5-AF48-A6B679B3A8E6.jpeg
    Spotted on the way home.

18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

We need 20,000 lines from @Coloumb now: "I must learn to be taciturn."

19. Bazza-spark

Incorrect.

You need to explain as I have.

Again, your abrasive attitude has caused problems.

Good night.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The fact remains your original statement is incorrect.