Integrated Intel Graphics - a permanent compromise?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Allsorts, Oct 12, 2018.

1. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Simple. But they do come out quite long(can stick out 4 inches), and of course you only get the VGA standard from a vga port.

Allsorts likes this.
  2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Dammmmmn.

That's pathetic.

I'm waiting for the a picture of an 80yo grandmother whooping about the ability to finally kick some online but with her newly acquired mega awesome graphics capabilities.

:(don't get ya hopes up, mavis.
    He's only on here to pass the time.

Oh, and try to belittle people, as best he can.
    IMHO.
    It makes him feel superior you see, like most gardinistas.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You've concocted the whole thing as an attempt to curry favour, you mean.
    That is my HO.

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You can run from DP direct to HDMI with the correct cable no inline adaptors needed.
    You don't need a discrete graphics card for what you have said. I run a surface Pro 3 which has an Intel HD 5000 "card". It drives the integrated screen plus 2 other 24" HD monitors and happily play videos on one, Solidworks 3D CAD on the other and have emails open on the third.

I would point out that headline price includes a trade in, so at £800 it's not that great a deal

I would also question whether anyone running that level of use would be able to see any difference between an i3 and i7. Far better buying a lower spec machine now and swapping it out in a couple of years than spending all that money now

Allsorts and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

No, of course I didn't. It's something that I have trouble with in my centripetal enhancing array, the digital snagger is out of date and not totally compatible, it will only go down to about 95 Hz before the snoot controller cuts in and loosens the giggling pin, then that lets the sliding vang go out of alignment. It's very frustrating, I can't be checking it every hour because I also have to run a shadbolt torque slider in parallel with the semi-loctec. I'm going to see a mate today who has a high capacity Stenberger latching codenter that he'll let me use to see if that works.

PhilSo likes this.
  7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

KIAB, you 'liked' this?

Really? Why?

Longsie constantly interrupts this thread with his nasty snide comments and his 'honest opinion' - none of it designed to help - and he doesn't even attempt any genuine wit. And you 'liked' it. Why?

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

:eek: I thought it was a good price! I didn't see the trade-in bit... :oops:

Mind you, she does have an old quad-core Dell which is utter carp - I wonder if they'd take this...

I totally agree with your suggestion of processors. It's just that she 'expects' a good machine to cost this sort of money, and also I thought if I can get an i& for that money, then why not.

Good points - thank you.

9. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I expect it to also have DP as in the pics - I would obviously confirm.

I'm not stupid... :oops:

10. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Why do you all go on about Display Ports? They're all display ports - HDMI, VGA, DVI......all display ports!

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Display port is a type of socket and different from the ones you quoted. Most laptops now use MDP Mini Display Port, much smaller than hdmi. From memory it's the same as apple thunderbolt.

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

CraigMck, don't feed the troll. His Nan is not interested in anything other than getting her cocoa at the right time, and just like him has no idea what any sort of display port is, or even cares. The whole thread was started to attract attention to the thread starter.

PhilSo and longboat like this.
  13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

PC dedicated graphic cards have their own memory and CPU, they run the graphic program separately to the main control program. This allows more complex graphic calcs to take place without slowing the main processor and the whole thing runs faster. Built in graphic adaptors invariably compromise the speed of the host system as they use and share the same hardware. The main program must wait for the graphics to be generated and likewise the graphics have to wait for the main program to finish it's routine.

Allsorts likes this.
  14. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Brilliant :D:D:D:D
    PhilSo

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Harry, The giggling pin is located on the laughing shaft.
    To be extra boring, the giggling pin is usually a split pin placed in a drain hole, the vibration of the machine causes the split pin to jump around or 'giggle' keeping the drain hole clear.

ramseyman likes this.
  16. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Thanks Bob. It sounds as if the giggling pin should be loose anyway, that could cure the problem if the laughing shaft can be adjusted with a tickling stick.

17. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Bob, Harry ...
    Whatever you're drinking
    Can I have the recipe please.

:rolleyes::D:D

PhilSo

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I’ve just sussed out why DA hasn’t been seen since last Saturday,,,,, his NaN got fed up waiting on her computer and has nabbed his. :p:p:p

19. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

That or his reply to this.

Was enough for SF Pete to invite him to a week in Chokey.

20. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

He's banned?, I thought Heat had kneecapped him.;)

longboat and chippie244 like this.