Bungalow Hip to Gable Loft Conversion Project

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wartonwoodworks, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Hello Everyone,

I am a builder in Essex, UK. I also operate a DIY home renovation blog called Warton Woodworks. My goal is to provide useful information to the trade, and DIY enthusiasts.

Recently I uploaded one of my loft conversion projects. It contains many images of a hip to gable loft conversion process, from design to completion.

Click here to view this bungalow hip to gable loft conversion project.

[​IMG]

Hopefully you will find this post helpful and interesting. It contains the following:
    • Drawings of the original bungalow
    • Drawings of the bungalow hip to gable loft conversion
    • Step-by-step images of all work carried out
    More images will be uploaded in the future.

Kind regards,

Jon

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Good stuff but I would always want to see the foundation check done as the first step in case something nasty turns up.

3. Hi Guys,

I thought you may also be interested to watch a You Tube video of this hip to gable loft conversion. It shows the steel and timber construction of the roof.

Youtube video of hip to gable loft conversion Essex

Stevie22: Yes, I agree with you. In fact the foundations were indeed checked just after erecting the scaffolding. I have rearranged the images on my website to show the true sequence of events (as accurate as possible).

Kind Regards,

Jon

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

How much is it all costing?

wartonwoodworks and The Teach like this.
  5. Hello Koolpc.

Sorry, but I cannot share how much this project costs. This is because I would need to get the customers permission to share the cost first.

However, I can provide a post which contains typical prices of a loft conversion. It covers different types of conversion such as a dormer, hip to gable, velux, etc. The typical prices are based upon research, and previous projects carried out. It should be used as rough figure only.

I hope this helps.

Jon

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would suggest you remove a lot of the American words from your website

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What size gaps do you put in your decking? And do you lay them smooth or reeded side up?

Jord86 likes this.
  8. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Impressive project. My worst nightmare tbh. Was the client breathing down your neck to get done? Wasn't in a bad state before you started. Did you pack new floor joists up slightly or sit in same wall plate as old? Have you set rafters so they fall in the gaps left between floor joists or altered plate height somehow? I couldn't see

wartonwoodworks likes this.
  9. We do get a lot of American readers. It is hard to please everyone lol.

But yes, you do have a point. I should try and keep it consistant throughout.

10. Thank you!

The client moved out during the renovation. We completed the project within the agreed timescale, so they was happy.

But I know what you mean. Customers could breath down ones neck if anything unexpected happens. In this case the project went to plan.

The new 9 x 2 joists sat along side the old joists, but were packed up 18mm on original plate so it didn’t interfere with existing ceiling. I will see if I can find more images of the joists, so you can see a clear view of it.

Jon

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some bits where I think you may have "researched" from other sites where the price is in dollars would be a start

Jord86 likes this.