Recommendation for extractor - 110 range master

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by James V, Oct 24, 2018.

1. James V

James V Member

hi all

Anyone got a good price and quality recommendation for an extractor hood that works well? I’ll be venting it through the wall behind the cooker (a 110 rangemaster hi lite) - a chimney style one might work best? I’m more interested in getting one that works effectively at extraction than one that looks nice or is branded

Cheers!

James

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

James V and kitfit1 like this.
  3. James V

James V Member

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

To be honest, the Rangemaster hoods are very effective if, as KIAB has said, you use 150mm ducting. They also come in styles to suite each different Rangemaster cooker. Using 150mm ducting straight above the hood gives you minimal run length and maximum extraction.

James V likes this.
  5. James V

James V Member

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As a kitchen fitter for over 30 years, i can only give you my personal views and experiences. Some cheap cooker hoods are ok at extraction rates, but none of them have ever been exceptional. If a manufacturer does not provide you with the extraction rate (your linked ebay hood does not), then you absolutely have to assume it's not that that good. I thought from your OP that you were after a hood with good extraction rates, if what you are actually after is just a cheap hood, then go for it. If the one you linked to is the one you fancy the most, then contact the seller and ask for the extraction rate and compare it against an £800 hood and then decide if price V extraction is worth the difference.

Just as an added thought, cheaper hoods in my experience are always significantly noisier as well.

Jord86, James V and KIAB like this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't look 12 in your Avi anymore, have you had children?

Jord86 and James V like this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

:confused: ?

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I can only recommend what we have - hotpoint chimney extractor about £220. Has loads of waft on a 150mm outlet and we seldom run it above level 1 of the 3 settings (actually 4 as it has a temporary mega-boost that sounds like a jet engine)

James V likes this.
  10. James V

James V Member

Yup! I wanted 1. Wife wanted 2.... and then said that two isn’t “a proper gang”, so sneakily planned a 3rd without involving me in said plan. Number 3 turned out to be identical twins. So - I have 4, hence the ‘living in a box under a bridge’ look.

Jord86, kitfit1 and chippie244 like this.
  11. James V

James V Member

Fair point - I’ll focus on extraction rates and noise - just wondered if there was a manufacturer churning out units of good quality / price. I don’t want top end and don’t want bottom end - just guidance, which you’ve given

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You did participate though?

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Nowdays, unless the manufacturer quotes extraction rates and DB levels to compare against, then you just have to assume they are fairly poor and noisy i'm afraid. All the usual suspects are good at both, but all come at a price. I will say though that a cheap hood manufacturer with fairly good extraction rates and are also fairly quiet is Elica. Have fitted quite a few of there canopy hoods over the years along with even more of there Island hoods. Build quality is good as well for the price, worth a look me thinks.

KIAB likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I got an Elca from TLC for quite a good price <£200. I was for a 110 range master like yours. I got one that was 720mm wide which because it is inset in a chimney breast unit works really well because it draws all the steam away from the sides as it rises.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ELBHT80.html