Confirmation for reasons to scribe internal corners on skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ShabbaPlanks, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Cityboy

Cityboy New Member

Well jez, either that or handy has finally got a new bff after all these years.

2. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

No i am me and handy andy is him.

i will go on doing internal mitres as and when i need to. the nature of my work, which is usaully reworking older fixings necessarily involves doing internal mitres as that is often how i have to do it. equally when  i find a scribed joint i have to do that.

it just doesn't seem such a big deal to me. i accomplish both.

my interest in the thread is more to do wtih the arguments for either method, which at times seem  illogical, unconvincing and open to being misinterpreted.

3. Cityboy

Cityboy New Member

My unreserved apologies Dunc.:) (although it was meant to be humorous)

4. Cityboy

Cityboy New Member

Looks like you`ll have to wait for his answer blerty, he is currently on the sparks page, spreading his "alternate wisdom" P.S. Getting his * handed to him again.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

5. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

I know its an old thread but....

...I know two reasons why scribing an internal joint is the better and correct method:

1. Say if we internal mitre and both boards start cupping in the same way a mitred joint will have twice the gap width of a scribed joint whether both convex or both concave. The other benefit of a scribe joint is that it will be better at trying to keep a cupping board under control than a mitre would...

2. For example: a room where there are no openings at the skirting level (a step down from the opening like) and also dado rails, if we mitre them we do not have a free end to push in like when scribed joint is used. A scribed joint is far better for making a tighter joint pressing into face of the opposed board as mitre would just like to slip past into the wall...

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Welcome to the forum but you need to up your game if you want a date :):)

CGN likes this.
  7. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

Thanks...
    How would you recommend I "up my game" then?

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't teach your grandmother how to suck eggs

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

What are you going on about?.... Both my Grandmother's are dead!

Are you the authority on what we can post and advise the OP and others want my opinion on? ..... possibly Mr know-it-all by any chance?

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Last post before tonight was 2011, I'm sure they've been advised by now of the correct way!!

chippie244 likes this.
  11. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

Yeah but others might want to know and read my advice... hence my first comment "I know its an old thread but..."

I did come across this thread via google after a discussion with a fellow tradesmen today... some others may also come across it also when I am died and gone.... I will crawl back under my stone now okay!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

We are happy to see new contributors to the forum, I'm just another member, but you need a sense of humour.

13. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

I have a sense of humour and use it a lot thanks! .... I did not see the humour though in what appeared to be negative comments... maybe a wink after the "suck eggs" would have helped ;)

I still stand by my comments that are valid and some of it has not been mentioned from my reading through the other posts...

It's not just about the original OP but others that are learning and wanting to educate themselves from those of us that do it for a living and have learned from our fathers and grandfathers etc... :)

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stay around, join in and don't expect winks from me ;)

Darrel Durose likes this.
  15. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

:D

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Man up. ;)

chippie244 likes this.
  17. Darrel Durose

Darrel Durose New Member

Not really something to jest about using the "Man Up" is why men do not talk about what they are going through and often do not get the help they need...then it's to late... I have been close a few times.... bottling it all up to be "A Man"...

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Me too ;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't ask for help, you gave an opinion.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I used to 'feel' too Chippie .Some days I cry, other days I contribute ;) x