cracks appearing on newly plastered ceilings

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Stephen Hancock, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Stephen Hancock

Stephen Hancock New Member

Hi , just wondered if you can help me on best advice on cracks appearing on newly plastered ceilings.

i have read up on this. many mention on forums that the cracks are a few centimetres long (horizontal or vertical) and are caused with plastering being done in cold weather and being artificially dried out (central heating or dehumidifiers) and scrim tape not being used.
    the two cracks that have appeared on our new plastered ceiling are 'lightning bolt' style (not horizontal or vertical) and are 1.5 metres long!
    paint used was trade dulux supermatt

there has been no one plodding heavily around on rooms above, plastering done in summer months august......what should we do?

has our plasterer done bad job or are 1.5 metre cracks in plaster common-cause and to be regularly maintained ourselves?
    do we need to purchase a decent recommended filler and fill in crack/paint over ourselves?

sorry my photos are not very good.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bungalow or house? I can see a nice crack there

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So if it was done in August - it was hardly cold then when we were in the middle of the heatwave.

3 months on, I won't be down to the plasterer, It will be more to movement in the house, either a person or the house itself

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If you give it a push along is there any movement? Also is the crack along a joist. Normally cracks appear soon after its been skimmed if there is a problem so strange it showing now

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Newly plastered, as on new plasterboard, or over skimmed on exsisting ceiling/textured finished?

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Moneys on second option;)

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Me think the same.:)

As I had skimmed over artex,only for it to drop off about 3 months after it was done, & artex had several coats of pva before skimming.

PVA can sometimes delaminates from Artex,that's why I would preter to use Blue Grit instead,or better still over board the ceiling.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I was told years ago that you can put too much PVA on that is glazes the surface.:eek:

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes,can usually get away with two coats,first one dry,second coat skim when pva is tacky,but too much pva & problems, I've seen it being peeled off in large strips.:eek: