Gloss painting on fire door problem.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by geno, Oct 31, 2018.

1. geno

geno New Member

Hi...I`ve been painting a fire door with gloss (had been painted with satinwood) but there is a continual problem as the paint goes on that has not been seen on any of the surrounds and elsewhere in the house...when painting on and going over with a final soft touch over there seems to be what I can only describe as a scurf coming to the surface and bubbling up...so I go over again finely and eventually it settles down - I have never seen this before anywhere and wonder if there is a new formulation within the gloss itself...it is not doing the same on any of the frame or elsewhere I have painted - on another note,I won`t ever use gloss again as it has seemed that I can`t get the finish I used to get no matter what I do....any ideas as to what is happening ?

Thanks,

2. geno

geno New Member

ps - I`ve had enough of the ****er - am sanding down and using satinwood on the door...:D

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What gloss? Wb or oil? I'd undercoat first then gloss with both

4. geno

geno New Member

Hi Wayners...it is solvent based gloss---I have given it 2 undercoats of a solvent based undercoating paint - but when trying twice to put the top coat over,on both occasions there was a scurf/scum/bubble effect coming up that I have never encountered anywhere before---it was very odd and so I have now sanded it down again and am about to just use a satinwood and be done with the bloody thing.