Do anyone know what kind of bulb can fit in this holder?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alexander123, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alexander123

Alexander123 New Member

Do anyone know what kind of bulb can fit in this holder? And where can I buy this kind of bulb?
    Thanks for any information. WeChat Image_20181105092649.jpg

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Never seen one before...must be some cheap chinese import.
    I guess there are no DIY shops like BnQ, wickes, Wilko etc. within 200 miles of you.
    :rolleyes:
    RS

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. Alexander123

Alexander123 New Member

For one thing, it's not cheap.:confused:
    for another, I'm in central london....

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

troll SPRAY.jpg

KlausK likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Blimey, you may be in central London but where exactly ...... living in a cave for the last 50 years ??

Probably the most common lamp holder style, but fair enough, if you don’t know, you don’t know

It’s a ‘bayonet’ fitting
    Come in 2 sizes - small and er.... standard

Also abbreviated to;
    SBC - small bayonet cap
    BC - bayonet cap

Literally everywhere that sells lamps will stock a range of lamps using this fitting

Loads of LED equivalents available as gradually the standard filament and the later halogen lamps are being phased out

So uv got local electrical shops, supermarkets, BQ, Homebase, Wickes, lighting shops, Internet

Out of interest, what kinda lighting you been running in ur cave ??

:) Good Luck ....You can do this :)

6. retiredsparks

...and another thing...you must be as thick as four short planks if you do not know...and /or to waste times trolling.
    The best i can wish you is ..leprosy.(Spike Milligan):)# RS

7. Alexander123

Alexander123 New Member

The thing that bothers me is the pillar in the cap. Don't konw what's that used for.
    Anyway, thanks!

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

B22 is the size, probably the most recognised of all electrical outlets. Now I suggest that with your lack of experience here, you get an electrician in to do the job.

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Pillar ... what pillar? All I can see is one of the contacts.

10. Pollowick

I'm close to central London - easy enough for me to call in and see the OP. £200 should cover my time.

retiredsparks likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Daffodil or Tulip, either will look nice in bloom.

12. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Maybe that's the problem.
    Only one spring loaded contact.
    Perhaps that's why it doesn't work.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

PhilSo

13. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Are there two brass prongs in the lampholder?

PhilSo

14. retiredsparks

Lets hope this OP does not drive or breed !
    My 5 year old grandson would know how find the name of the fitting and where to buy a bulb for this unit... within 5 mins of being asked.
    RS

15. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

To be fair, I was looking for a full size bayonet cap fitting the other day in Tesco and struggled to find them - they are definetely being eclipsed by ES and SES type fittings - probably because Ikea don't seem to sell any BC lamps or light fittings.

I had a quick look on the "bulbs" section of Ikea to see if they sold any BC bulbs and they don't - but they do have BC to ES converters.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...oppla-b15-to-e14-bulb-converter-art-70296574/

16. Pollowick

17. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Wouldn't they have just wired the pad at the bottom of the BC connector to the centre pin?

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Alexander, assuming there are two prongs still in that holder and one hasn't broken off, I recommend these Philips WarmGlow lamps: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Phil...d:g:jR4AAOSwXzNaXwZq:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

If you decide to add a dimmer, they should still work. They are fab. There will be slightly cheaper non-dimming LED lamps out there if that's all you want, but frankly the Philips are so good I'd be reluctant to go past them - a very natural traditional (filament/halogen) colour, and they 'warm' as you dim them just like the 'real' thing.

19. Pollowick

A bayonet has 2 pins - one live and one neutral. So, yes they wire one of them, but which one? There is no way to guarantee live to centre using that adapter type and 50% of the time it will be wrong.

furious_customer likes this.
  20. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

This is not a requirement for fittings that comply with BS EN 60238