Mortise lock jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jackson88, Nov 4, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Did drop a clanger other week with souber, used wrong cutter, so lock pocket was too wide.:oops:

2. Jackson88

Jackson88 New Member

Thanks for advice

I see when using the jigtec the frame keep is round,if you were using it on a frame that’s already had a rectangle keep chopped in before,can you still put it in same place on the frame?

Also is it only Howdens who stock the handles for jigtec?

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Selco stock them too I believe.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Jackson88 likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Loads of places stock it, just Google :)

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Howdens stock a pretty limited range and I think the handles they do are exclusive to them.

But the handles are widely available.

As for the round frame keeps, the last few Jigtech door packs I bought came with both a rectangular and round keep.

Its a great system, one of the biggest time savers is the bathroom lock, takes the same time as a normal latch.

KIAB and Jackson88 like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Hey it's been awhile. Sorry to resurrect old thread (like the spam bots do!)
    I see some of these souber jigs come with a corner chisel, what's that all about - can you do the faceplate recess with these too? I didn't realise you could set the depth and move them up and down the door like a router/trimmer?

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You can do the forend/faceplate as well but I just use a chisel to square the recess out rather than a corner chisel. That was my point earlier in the thread - it really does make a neat job. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s05jmR_aWYQ&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjEiIvrnYDsAhXRVsAKHbElBR0QtwIwAHoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1aZ7Txzif4zKcmBsjR40d4

I saw Robin Clevett use one on YouTube - he had to buy a corded drill because he hadn't got one. Strange the things that catch us out...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  11. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Thanks for the link, shows it well. They are a good bit of kit.
    Sure my 18v mak will be up to the job!

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It's the rpm the souber needs that cordless don't usually provide, not the torque.

13. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Good tip @Mr Rusty
    Waste of time with cordless then?

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Can't say for sure, but I have a souber and no way I'd drive it with my bosch blue cordless.

15. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Hmm is it worth having then? Haven't even got a mains drill

16. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

it all depends how many locks you have to fit but well worth having one

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Depends. I bought mine because I didn't fancy chiselling out a couple of fairly expensive oak doors (OK oak laminate). It does make cutting deep mortices accurately easy.

18. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I do think they're a good idea. Just didn't realise you needed mains drill. Thanks to this place got a heads up. What's the advantage of this over router and trend jig? I honestly expected could use with cordless

19. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

you can more depth than a router

20. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

@Mr Rusty Just checked my drill
    Makita DHP481 - 2100rpm max in 2nd gear.
    Souber recommends between 2-3000 rpm
    Got to be worth a shot?

I think there are a lot of cordless drills out there with lower rpm this was the best model Makita made when I bought 3 years ago.
    Any other real world experiences with cordless'?
    @ginger tuffs @WillyEckerslike @KIAB @Jord86