Updated legal requirements for boiler installations

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Yes i'm a *, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

Hi everyone,
    I own a house that I rent out. The combi boiler packed in and a friend of a friend fitted a new one for me - Nearly a year ago (He fit's boiler's in new build's then the certified person comes around and signs them off.) I have had a gas safety check completed but have been told that I need to get it signed off but can not find any one who will do this.Do I need to get someone to take it out and re-install it who is gas safe ? or is their another way ?.

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Get your friends "certified person" to come over and sign it off.... as usual.
    Then punch you "friend" unceremoniously in the gob...several times from different angles .....for putting you in this invidious situation...and negating your home insurance.
    Hope this helps
    ;)
    Rs

Astramax likes this.
  3. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

Any other way ?.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. Chris Ford

Chris Ford New Member

Get a friendly boiler to service it, ask if they will sign it off for you as you're in a difficult situation where the installer is no longer trading. Try a one-man operation. You're more likely get a friendly response. Where in the country are you?

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

You get it installed by an engineer that’s not registered, and not paid the fees,

?

We are registered and pay the fees,

We think ...
    we hope you have problems, the more the better, you and your type are robbing me and my type

Regards

Astramax likes this.
  6. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

Kettering. Can you recommend someone for me ?.

7. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

I completely agree, I have learnt my lesson. BUT I STILL HAVE TO GET IT SORTED OUT.

8. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It may be a good idea, to contact the manufacturers and ask them to send an engineer to commission the Boiler.

You end up with a certified boiler, and full manufacturing guarantee!

Regards
    Peter

Mosaix and Heat like this.
  9. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Btw what boiler?

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I will be 100% honest.

I wouldn't want to rent a property with a combi boiler that's been installed by someone without the proper accreditation.

You shouldn't really be attempting to sort it by someone else essentially lying on their paperwork.

Everyone knows how it works, get it done properly especially if you are a landlord.

And you haven't really learnt your lesson because even now you are trying to bodge a solution.

As for the suggestion that you just ring any old GasSafe chap and give him a sob story and he is going to sign it off, that isn't going to happen, they all know the score. If they get caught its a whole heap of trouble.

Sorry to be harsh but you undoubtedly got "your mate" (if he exists) to fit it to save cash.

Now its going to cost you, and so it should.

Mosaix and Astramax like this.
  11. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

It's an Ideal exclusive 24.

12. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

getting retrospective building regulations sign off is a pain for most building events but even more of a pain for new gas boiler installations.

the main problem is the boiler has been fitted for over a year in rented accommodation,if the boiler was fitted and the installer vanished immediately before issuing a certificate then getting retrospective sign off is possible but the certificate will always mention retrospective commissioning works only.

There is still a chance a hard up gas installer will issue a certificate but they have to take on the responsibility of your gas boiler installation :(

To be honest and trying to keep your losses at a minimum,get the the unregistered boiler exchanged (same for same is the cheap option) and of course the small but expensive paperwork.

13. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

I wonder what sanctimonious means and holier than tho !.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sounds like you cut corners in English Language too.

Good luck begging to get your boiler signed off.

Hope your tenants get wind of your conduct, withhold rent and trash your house.

15. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

I'm sorry you probably got picked on at school BUT please don't take it out on people who make mistake's and are trying to rectify them. I thought this sight was for helping people, So if you can't help please follow someone else's post's.

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

SITE.

Sight, is seeing, something you didn't do when fitting your own boiler?, as in seeing the pitfalls.

Heat and goldenboy like this.
  17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

True colours emerging now mate.

You haven't made a mistake.

You quite deliberately tried to get round what are crucial pieces of legislation designed to protect the public.

Now its come back to bite you, and so it should.

Hope it costs you plenty.

18. Yes i'm a *

Yes i'm a * New Member

I DID NOT FIT IT !.

19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You could phone gas safe and explain your situation.
    They will give advice on what can and can’t be done.
    They may ask a few awkward questions though regarding the installer.