Newbuild Fitted Kitchen - Integrated or Freestanding Appliances?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ESD1711, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ESD1711

ESD1711 New Member

Hello all,

Apologies for the stereotypical 'newbie' question - but myself and my partner are due to move in to our newly completed newbuild home in the next couple of weeks.

We're at the stage of looking to purchase a washing machine or washer drier to be installed, but we've seen a few conflicting things online with regards to what type of machines we should be looking at.

The machine will be going in to a dedicated utility room which has a worktop with pre-designed spaces underneath it for this purpose (one space for washer, one for a tumble drier).

Its my understanding that these cubby holes for the washer and drier are of a fairly standard size, however it does seem like its going to be a pretty snug fit for whatever goes in the gaps.

My initial thoughts had been that we would simply purchase a freestanding washer drier which would slot snuggly in to the space - however, we have since read a few things online which state that fitting a freestanding machine in to a tight space isn't advised or recommended.

Does this mean that we should in fact be looking for an integrated or built in machine instead? We have no intentions of fitting a cupboard door across the front of the machine which made me think an integrated machine wasn't necessary - however, it seems that with lower spin speeds and no 'top' on them - theres more to an integrated machine than just a front door.

So essentially what i'm asking is........ freestanding washing machine in an 'enclosed' space just beig enough to slide it in and no more - is this the done thing or is it a no no?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The reality is, the only difference between a freestanding machine and an integrated machine is the hinges that hold the door on.
    If the machine is adjusted on it's feet to be upright and level, snugness should make no difference either.
    In your position i would go for both a freestanding washer and a freestanding dryer. A freestanding dryer has a much larger capacity than any freestanding washer/dryer.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My advice - based on several assumptions it must be said....
    I would have freestanding versions of both on the basis that they're easier to take with you to your next house. The reason I would have both a washer and dryer is that your laundry management is far far simpler - you generally can't dry as much as you can wash (too heavy) and a lot of things can't be dried anyway so your label management has to be faultless.
    We've got a dryer that we rarely use as laundry tends to go on the line or a couple of airers. The dryer only gets pressed into action if we're running out of dog towels - maybe a couple of times a year - if that!

4. ESD1711

ESD1711 New Member

Thanks guys.

The washer and drier vs a combined washer drier isnt such an issue to be fair, thats really personal choice.

We're just more confused by the integrated vs freestanding element to be honest. I'd always been under the impression that you could jsut slot a freestanding one in, but articles such as this one which we've read in the last few days hint towards it not being the done thing.

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help...ne/3694-integrated-washing-machines-explained

"Likewise, freestanding washing machines are not designed for use inside a tight fitting cupboard space either and, again, it is not advised that this is done."

"On many however, especially cheap washing machines, you can find that the damping of vibrations aren't so brilliant because there is an assumed space around the washer and they are not designed to be fitted into very tight spaces. If you do so then you will invariably find that you get vibration transfer into the surrounding units."

Obivously, with the freestanding option being the cheaper, easier to install option - it would be great if we're all good to install oen of those, be it a washer and dryer, or washer-drier, however we jsut dont want to go installing a freestanding one if we should be looking at something else.

I expect we're probably over analysing it a bit, but with this being our first home together and having watched it come from nothing, we're keen to get it right first time so to speak.

5. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

You're over thinking it. Youre not putting the appliances into a cupboard with a kitchen door. You're sliding them into a space on the floor.
    You want freestanding.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Over-thinking as Squash says.

If the spaces under the worktop have been made for free-standing items, then they are big enough. You would only ever buy a built-in/integrated appliance if having them hidden was of paramount importance to you, otherwise it's free-standing every time.

Why? Because they are cheaper, larger, less compromised, easier to install, can be taken with you... Better in every respect except not hidden.

You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever with these two appliances being close together as long as (a) the floor is solid and not springy (which is shouldn't be) and (b) the appliances you choose are decent enough so well weighted and stable.

We've just been treated to new Bosch appliances by mum-in-law (which is fair do's as she's moved in with us...) and they are astonishing. The Bosch W/M is dead quiet, spins like a loon but is utterly & completely stable. It also dispenses the right amount of detergent and conditioner from large reservoirs each time, and I simply cannot begin to tell you how happy that makes me... :oops:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another vote for Bosch, got free standing condenser dryer,has drain kit fitted,so water tank never needs emptying,Bosch washing machine about 11 years old,maybe older, never broken down in all that time,might get replaced in New Year with another Bosch.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Chatting to the local fire brigade safety officers whom do the home inspections. They see more kitchen fires from built in units rather than stand alone pushed into an opening. The worst culprit being built in microwaves which is quite strange considering their relatively short cycle time

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's the same with tumble dryers,washing machines,dishwashers,fridge/freezers,certain brands like,Hoover,Beko,Hotpoint & Indesit are more prone to fire.

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have a serious look at Miele feestanding machines - designed for a long, long life and often with 10 year warranty. Our tumble drier is over 20 years old and still going without issue. Washing machine, coming up 10 years. Yes, expensive but in te long run they can work out better value.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its quite interesting to speak to the guys whom come around about the fires they are called out to; the number of chip pan fires has dropped dramatically and it is mainly older people that cause them. Electrical wiring fires where people have overloaded sockets with extensions have dropped and so has smoking related fires surprisingly.

What isn't a surprise is the number of device fires - phone chargers, hair care products, vapour products etc.

KIAB likes this.
  12. Pigkeeper

Pigkeeper New Member

Good advice! Go for freestanding.
    They tend to be less expensive than integrated and you haven’t got the additional cost of a door. Spend the same amount of money and buy a better quality freestanding machine.
    Pigkeeper