Potential wiring disaster

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Danielle93, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Don't even try and imagine, Danielle - it was harrowing, shocking, decadent.

I couldn't bear to read it more than 4 times :oops:

DIY womble and Danielle93 like this.
  2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@Danielle93 back to the question. Do you now have a solution for powering your hood?

3. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Able to just spur off the upstairs, minimal disruption!

Allsorts likes this.
  4. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Alternative topic but a lot of well-rounded knowledge on here! Just had a decorator in to quote for wallpapering the up stairs and living room and he basically un-did all the work I'd already done the main on being my newly painted ceilings. Painted in trade silk emulsion for walls and ceilings. He said that you cant paint ceilings in silk because of new fire safety rules and would have to repaint them. Cant see anything about this online and seems odd that id be able to buy silk paint for ceilings if it wasnt allowed.. Is this new or is he trying to pull a fast one?

5. You will need to check that you are spurring off the ring and not spurring off a spur,which is against the regulations.
    If indeed it is the ring you are spurring off, I would also label at the consumer unit, upstairs sockets are also supplying hood in kitchen.

Danielle93 likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Your decorator is talking out of his sitting down area. You can paint your house in whatever you like.

If you’ve a choice of decorator then maybe choose a different one!

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Let's not lose sleep over this since it's going to supply a 3A FSU for a cooker hood.

Regs ma botty...

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

What is it with you and silk?!

I'd never heard of that fire reg either, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Yes silk is more 'plasticky' and might well bubble up with heat - it might technically even be more flammable, I don't know, but to suggest you cannot paint ceilings in silk 'cos of the fire risk is bizarre to me - but I'm ready to be corrected on this.

However, common taste and decency should have you covering all that silk with matt pdq...

9. Do not take heed of post No 47 Danielle, it is against BS 7671 and very bad advice to have an unfused spur off an unfused spur.

The advice I gave in post No 45 that was quoted in post No 47 is correct.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Your decorator has probably worked on some non-domestic premises. There are indeed regulations that relate to paint, flame spread etc for non-domestic buildings and communal areas, BUT they do NOT apply to ordinary houses, so you certainly don't need to repaint if you don't want to (silk, yuk :p:p). He's either deliberately trying to pull a fast one, or doesn't realise the regs don't apply to domestic dwellings.

Just had a whole 2-bed house decorated £170/day + materials - (11 days) (everything - woodwork, walls, ceilings, some papering). One man band - no VAT. That's darkest lancashire, so might vary a bit depending where you are. - Gives you an idea what should be charged

11. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

What has poor silk ever done to you lot?
    I love my shiney ceiling :p (to be fair, not at all shiney) Well I'm going to see what the quote is like, if it's reasonable to get everything done professionally, and quickly. Then I'll just go for it. If I recoil in horror then the silk ceiling will have to stay.

Allsorts likes this.
  12. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Just out of curiosity, is the tiling a DIY job or did you get a tiler in?
    Only asking because I need to do my kitcen with those exact same tiles and wondering how do-able it is for a diy'er?

13. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Myself! Decorator I had in said it was a better job than most tilers, it was super easy. Just grouting that was a bore! I used a really simple tile scribe to cut them, but a slightly better tile cutter may have resulted in less waste and a jigsaw blade to cut round the plug sockets, can get hand saws though if you don't have a jigsaw

Allsorts likes this.
  14. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Excellent, thanks - that inspires me to give it a go!

Danielle93 likes this.
  15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Next time get a grout squeezee https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod1...=c24202167be0246903440365b59b0e21&fo_s=gplauk (not necessarily from topps) - Mix the grout like soft plasticine, spread it around into the gaps, rough squeegee off the excess. Let it dry a bit so its firm but you can still poke a nail into it. With a damp sponge clean it all off smooth. Let it dry. Polish it with a dry cloth. Job jobbied.

good job though...

Also, a cheap diamond wet wheel is so handy when tiling - you cut without mishaps every time, and its easy to trim out round plugs etc - far easier than hand or jig saws.

Danielle93 likes this.