New IKEA ceiling light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rushie10, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Rushie10

Rushie10 New Member

Hello, I'm new here, and new to electrical work in general, I was hoping for some help. Really I have 3 questions:

1. I'm trying to take down an old light and put up a new IKEA light. I've included some pictures below of the old light. I'm confused as the old light has 2 black wires going into it, how do I know which black wire goes into the live and which goes into the neutral on the IKEA electrical block connector? - or does it not matter?

2. The 2 red wires go into a chocolate block, do I leave this as is?

3. There is also no place for the 2 earth wires on the IKEA connector, am I right to put those into a chocolate block? Would a 10A be ok?

[​IMG]

Thanks very much for any help!

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Looks like an Edison screw lamp holder, the black wire going to the centre contact should be phase, mark it with brown tape, the other black mark with blue tape. The two reds will be connected together again and the earth's will also be connected the same. I have assumed that the installer of the fitting knew what they were doing, I am a little doubtful as no supplementary heat resistant sleeve has been used.

terrymac likes this.
  3. Rushie10

Rushie10 New Member

Where should there be a heat resistant sleeve?
    Which one is the center contact? The one on the left or the right in the picture?

Thanks.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

there should be heat resistant on the lamp holder cores if you look inside the lamp holder without bulb you should be able to work out which side is the live terminal.

5. Rushie10

Rushie10 New Member

The picture I posted above is of the old lamp, the one that is currently there, neither of the black wires go into the centre of the lamp, the earth wire does.

There is one black wire on the left, and another on the right, how do I know which one of these black wires should go into the live and neutral blocks on my new IKEA lamp?

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The only way to be sure which black is the switched live and which is the neutral ,is by testing ,with a suitable test instrument .a multimeter for example. Its impossible to tell from your picture.

7. Bob Rathbone

I think you may be out of your depth here, take real care.

8. Bob Rathbone

Terry, look at the OP's replies up to this point, I do not think he is competent to do this.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Hi Bob ,yes its quite obvious by op's own statements that he is new to electrics and has very little knowledge of electrics. Which is why i deliberately witheld any mention of anything relating to live testing or neon s/drivers etc. I had in mind continuity testing on a dead circuit ,mains isolated ,to determine switched line ,if the op had replied.
    Regards Terry

10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Wouldn’t the chocolate melt?

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its lovely fitting that stuff when the lighting system is ''loop in box''

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Welcome back :)

seneca likes this.
  13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Chips..:)

chippie244 likes this.
  14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Good to see you back JP.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen. Trust you and all are keeping well m8

seneca likes this.
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sen been looking at property's and have come to the conclusion that nothing will beat old builds - I will never get used to tapping walls and hearing that hollow sound which means Dot and Dab..aye lumps of plasterboard stuck on 't' wall and skimmed instead of proper undercoat plaster and skim ..flipping heck m8 (I know Lec likes that kind of stuff..;))

chippie244 and seneca like this.
  17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Welcome home JP

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lol cheers Baz..I dont know m8 about all these new builds and relatively new builds..suppose it is the way now and in the future..I mean you compare say an oldish council house to a new build construction technique wise..the old council house will win hands down..cripes they actually have floorboards on ground floor (sometimes not in the kitchen though) and not concrete and stuff. And the newer builds use use t and g flooring and not proper floorboards on upper floors. Strewth how can you whip in a quick spur when its boarded out with that t and g stuff?..Floorboards = easy job

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

K'n hate new builds.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

And another thing Chips on some of the housing estates every one you go in the ceiling is finished in what I presume is Artex - you know its got that horrible whirling trowelled or whatever as a finish. I mean you would have to skim it out - more time and money....pwhorrrrrrr