New Bathroom layout

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danielle93, Nov 8, 2018.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

But as luxuries go... a very nice one!
    Cando.

Danielle93 likes this.
  2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Where does the existing toilet waste go to then? There must be a vertical waste pipe somewhere beyond that wall (or is it boxed-in inside your bathroom? Any chance of a photo of that wall?)

Worse case scenario is that you'd need to use a 1400mm long bath and also have it set a few inches out from that 'top' wall. To be honest, if you will mainly use it for showers, then this extra elbow room would be great; showering standing in a bath is usually a hellish experience, so this would make it much better.

You also have plenty of room in that bathroom to do this.

Just remember the proviso - these tiled ledges will be drenched in water so must be 100% watertight and remain that way.

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes, but only a gentle slope. I presume your plumber is happy that this can be done or else he'd have said.

Where the soil pipe goes out through that wall can always - in theory - be lowered if needed, and joined to the vertical pipe a few inches lower.

4. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

WAS boxed in behind the toilet

Attached Files:

5. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Silcone, silicone everywhere :p:p

6. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I also got my quote back from this first plumber, £1500 which seems steep considering there's no redesign, just replacing the existing cream/green suite, no tiling etc. Or I'm in the wrong profession...

7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Best to have a slight, just very slight, slope down toward the bath. It will prevent standing water.
    Cando

Allsorts and Danielle93 like this.
  8. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

If you have toddlers or young kids then a bath is a necessity,

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I believe that 90mm can also be used - some of the pan frames come with 90mm. Although finding pipes may be a problem in the UK.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

McAlpine do 90mm pan connectors,extension pieces & flexi pan connectors.

So much grief if your soil pipe is cast iron,stick to 110mm if possible, as adaptors readily available from CI to 110mm plastic.

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

So, is the wall to the LEFT - where these pipes disappear to - on the outside?

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That's for the items and the installation - new bath, taps, basin toilet?

Depending on the quality of the items, that is potentially on the high side, I'd agree; the biggest part of this job is going to be the boxing-in, tiling, flooring and finishing off.

Definitely allow for a decent-width rigid glass bath-shower screen and don't entertain curtains for a nano-second, although a clammy, mouldy, lightweight PVC shower curtain might fit in best with your silk walls...

Danielle93 likes this.
  13. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Nope, I already have my toilet and sink, thats just for the plumbing . I have another 2 coming to give me quotes though so we'll see what they say. If they ever turn up...

14. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

No, unfortunately bathroom is in the middle with bedrooms either side. Not sure if goes under the floor or through the wall.

15. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Sounds like my 1st house.

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

JUST THE PLUMBING!

Blimey...

That is ridiculous.

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It disappears in through that wall in the bathroom, and there's no trace of it in the room on the other side?

Blimey...

18. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Goes over the stairway. Where it's boxed in. In the bedroom I'm not sure. Looked as much as I could under the floor (from where the electrics had been done) but couldn't see the waste pipe.

19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

How old is this house? Could the pipe be going straight down after it's passed over the stairway?

(I don't know why I'm asking as I doubt it makes any difference :) )

It does suggest, tho', that it would be hard to lower the pipe height as it passes through that wall, so how that could affect the toilet pan height in its new position I don't know; there must be a certain fall.

Anyhoo, I suspect that's the first thing the plumber would have checked before agreeing the new position of the pan.

Danielle93 likes this.
  20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Personally I would stick with the existing layout and spend the saving on nice fittings. Moving your toilet where you propose is going to extend the waste run. Going to be tricky to maintain the correct fall. Nothing worse than a poorly flushing loo.