To chop or not to chop?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 7, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

just changing my doors in my house to flush fire doors, mainly just so the doors have a more solid feel than the hollow plywood doors that were on before.

Anyhow I have a 2 foot wide airing cupboard and was going to change that too, to a flush door.

I have a 2 foot 6 inch width plywood hollow door which I've changed and was wondering about using that on the airing cupboard? It would mean cutting 6 inch of the width and then fixing a new edge rail to it? Is it going to fall apart, is it worth the hassle?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deanta make very good solid core doors,& fire doors,plus the have the largest lipping available on a door,16mm on all four sides.

3. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Should be fine. Just remember to allow enough wood for hinges/locks/handles or knob fixings when infilling the hollow cuts.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stick the new edge in with mitre mate.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's not worth the hassle, no. And if fire regs are the predominant reason or whatever, then believe it or not but your airing cupboard door should be fire rated.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can buy a 600 door from Wickes.

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I looked at Wickes but they were to order and delivery only, in the end I bought one from Travis Perkins which is just around corner from me

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Wickes doors a good quality I find. Guess Travis are the same? Howdens are naff

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wickes and Travis are the same group along with City Plumbing, Benchmarx, Toolstation and many others.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Benchmark doors are not the same quality as wickes. I made that mistake. Strange as you think they would be