Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Seamybeag, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

I'm going to build a greenhouse out the back! I'll pour strip foundation then block on flat then on edge for dwarf wall then fix timber frame and cover in either corrugated plastic or polycarbonate
    Should I use a 6 inch solids or is 4 enough?(for anchor bolts)
    Is there any need of a cavity or insulation?
    It's on a slope so I will step the foundation. I was going to put dpc under the frame and maybe a drainage channel on the high side to stop any water build up.
    Any and all advice /criticism would be highly appreciated

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Blocks 140mm/100mm,which to use depend on width of timber sole plate being used, do use a dpc under frame before fitting to blockwork.

Can't see need for cavity wall being a green house, if was a conservatory then yes.

Polycarbonate twin wall sheeting much stronger than corrugated sheeting.

A lot of greenhouses use 4mm twin wall polycarbonate sheets,many advantages over glass.

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.c...-a-polycarbonate-greenhouse-over-a-glass-one/

3. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

4. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

Thanks for that KIAB
    Was going to use pressure treated 4 by 2 sole plate and studs at 16 inch centers Hope to have foundation ready this weekend.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5x2 or larger would allow you to have a drip groove,plus a thin coat render on outside wall,

Seamybeag likes this.
  6. Mosaix, Seamybeag and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

Is that a flashing fitted over the sill or a groove cut out of the underside of 5 by 2?

9. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

Oh.. . I just saw it in the link

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

See Deleted member 11267's link, will give the run off & drip groove to stop water running back onto wall, door frame/ window frame, it's the same princple.

11. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

12. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

Perfect Will keep you all posted as I progress

13. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

For my 10 x 8 greenhouse, I levelled the site, put down municipal paving slabs and then placed concrete lintels on top of the slabs with a layer of cement.

I then screwed the greenhouse frame directly into the lintels. I has withstood 80 mph winds on an elevated site with no problems

Mosaix and Seamybeag like this.
  15. Seamybeag

Seamybeag New Member

Thanks for that Sospan Mine is quite elevated also and will be tested for sure!!!