Skim on tiles.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Nov 10, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Sons house. Downstairs toilet .
    Fully tiled. (sound)
    Painted over.
    Toilet and sink coming out.
    Want to plaster skim over.(thin layer to not interfere with architraves and skirtings)
    I want to remove paint, degrease...and SBR walls .
    Then SBR, tacky, just before first coat, then finish coat.
    Any better suggestions/method/product in this case.
    Cheers
    RS

2. Do it properly,take the tiles off, make good and then skim.

Probably the same time or quicker for a much better job.

longboat likes this.
  3. retiredsparks

OK, if I wanted to take tiles off...i would have asked ..."how do I take tiles off" :rolleyes:
    If I wanted a new floor I would have asked a different question... with the word "floor" in it :)
    Now stop messing about ...
    ;)
    RS

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you have to bodge it, then I suggest covering the tiles with blue grit the day before you skim.

5. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Yep seen it done with blue grit, don’t know whether it lasted no reason for it not to, but do think if it was mine I’d be boarding and skimming.

6. blarblarblarblar

Yep seen it done with blue grit, don’t know whether it lasted no reason for it not to, but do think if it was mine I’d be boarding and skimming.

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Blue grit works but you need to clean tiles well then quick sand over to get a key.. It works but not the best option...

8. retiredsparks

Cheers guys, seen the product previously.
    I work on the basis that if PVA used on artex, creates a membrane.....and you can hang two coats of plaster off it..and it seems permanent.
    Why should a better SBR, creating a waterproof membrane ...not work the same in a vertical situation.
    I was also wondering about shower tanking as you can hang tiles off it ?(albeit usually on normal building materials)
    Further investigation needed.
    RS

9. retiredsparks

"Bodge" ?
    I do realise that ......
    hacking off the tiles :(
    removing render back to the brickwork (because the render starts falling off) :(
    replacing 2 plasterboard walls with new plasterboard back onto the partition walls (because the plasterboard breaks up taking tiles off) :(
    Re-rendering two walls :(
    bonding coats on 2 others :(
    reset new quoin beads around window :(
    2 coats of finish plaster :)

Might 'sound' the right thing to do.( It ISN'T)..but hardly call it a "bodge".

An Engineer can do for a shilling what everyone else can do for a pound.;):p
    RS

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Mate, whilst I understand the reluctance to add to the workload, whichever way it's stated, skimming over tiles is a bodge.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  11. blarblarblarblar

Dude it’s hardly a bodge, I’ve have spent years doing belt and braces, over engineering jobs and yes great job all round, but I have seen loads of jobs that haven’t been done the way you might consider the full job. Sometimes you have to work with what you have, I can’t help thinking I could have saved time and money and ended up with the same finish job.

RS, you haven’t really got much to lose, make sure the surface is sound and see how it goes. Good luck with the whole lot.

12. retiredsparks

Appreciate your point of view.(the skim will just be painted not retiled over)
    But wonder why reputable manufacturers produce products for this very purpose.
    Would you skim over artex ceiling..or pull down and put new plasterboard up then re skim ?
    If you were refitting bathroom where the tiles came off very very easily......Would you hack back to brickwork or confirm plaster was sound and use a tanking system from Ardex or Mapei ?
    Just a thought.
    Rs

13. retiredsparks

Could not agree more on that sentiment. Done it myself. It just makes you feel better...not necessarily give a better or long lasting job.
    Just look at beds for instance...they are just glued and stapled with the thinnest section timbers. If any of us were doing it we would double/triple up on everything. Yet the beds last till the mattress goes (if not abused by kids jumping).
    It's son's property. His wife would not appreciate 2 weeks of rubble vs a weekend of slight disruption.
    I can't plaster but have a good spread.
    RS

14. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Spot on about beds :) amazing they are just some cheap pine sticks, staples and cardboard!

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The polished finish of tiles makes it difficult for anything to adhere/key to it.

If you have to do it, then get some 40 grit - or coarser glass paper and use a circular or orbital sander and run it over each tile to break through the surface and leave it nice and rough. Then maybe use something like blue grit followed by plaster.

As you are not going to do it until next weekend at the earliest, get a couple of tiles and try it out during the week to see how well it works.

16. retiredsparks

Won't be for a while , thus the fact finding mission to see if there is something you guys swear by or new on market.
    Always willing to take...good...advice.
    25 for pro grip
    15 for plaster and a drink for my spread mate (he is s big drinker ..:()..bit cheaper than rebuilding cloakroom..;)
    Rs

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

We'll agree to disagree.