Best Modern Look White Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DanielQ, Nov 5, 2018.

1. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

I have the plasterer doing all the walls downstairs and I'm starting to plan the painting

Can you recommend a white emulsion for ceilings and for walls? Would it look better with ceiling white and walls slightly off white?

The paint will be used all around the house. Th ceilings are low 230cms and I have large windows everywhere.

Upstairs, I will have light beige or grey carpet. Downstairs oak lacquered floor

All the joinery satin white, and white gloss kitchen with oak worktop.

I wouldn't like anything even close to magnolia.

Thanks again

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

We've just decorated (well "we" haven't cos I hate painting - decorator done it) much as you are intending. The off-white we have used is Leyland "rinsey". It has a tint but it's very subtle. We also have mostly matt white ceilings and satin woodwork.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Trade Heritage Lead White is very popular as is Dulux Trade Vinyl Jasmine White.

KIAB likes this.
  4. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

Thank you very much.

I'll get testers for these 2 colours.

Any reason for using Vinyl paint? I would like the paint to be durable but I don't want the wall with "plastic" look.

What white paint would you use for the ceilings?

Thanks again.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Vinyl is easy to clean off any marks etc, a non vinyl product is not as hard wearing and the paint can be wiped off with a wet rag. White paint for the ceilings either Crown or Dulux, wouldn't go for DIY store own brands unless you like hard work!

6. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

I quite like the Timeless from Dulux but I'm a bit overwhelmed about the amount of different types of paint from Dulux for walls in this colour.

For painting all the walls in the house, which one would you go for? Vinyl, Flat Matt, Diamond...?

I would like something durable with good finish.

Sorry for all the questions....I'm spending hundreds in paint I want to get it right.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Vinyl or Diamond here, Wickes used to sell Dulux Endurance which was the retail version of Dulux Trade Diamond, I understand this is now called EasyCare Washable and Tough it is a lot more economical than Diamond Trade, some times Wickes have an offer of buy 2 get 1 free, so 3 for the price of 2 which is a very good deal. have used it several times in commercial offices and has proven to be very durable.

8. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

In terms of Quality, is the Diamond Trade better than the Easycare or are the same one? What is the difference with the Vinyl one, I thought the diamond was kind of Vinyl too.

I usually buy the paint from ThePaintShed but it must be cheaper in Wickes when there is an offer.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They are not the same but are very similar tough products, Diamond is a Trade rated product and the Easycare a retail product. The vinyl is washable and the Diamond and Easy care claim to be 20x tougher than standard Matt.

10. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

Great explanation!

Wasycare seem to be 25% cheaper.

Would you paint the whole house with Easycare or certain areas and the rest in normal emulsion?

Cheers again!

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes I would do that although in the bathroom I would use the Easycare Bathroom paint which is a Soft Sheen finish more suited to a humid and steamy environment.