Trolls

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by screwfix.peter, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

There has been a lot of interesting talk about the troll we have.

I can assure you action is being taken to prevent them posting, which you would only see the time when they get through these measures. Yes, there is more we could do to prevent them posting however this would also cause problems for other users and disrupt how the forum works. I'm sure you do not want a locked down forum with no new users or a delay in any posts having to be moderated before they are visible.

The best action you can take to help me with these posts is simply to ignore them and use the report button. At the moment more people are interacting with the Troll than are reporting them. Sometimes these interactions are using strong language about the poster, and while this angar is understandable action will be taken to prevent these types of post as per any other post.

Sometimes the comments from this person can seem personal, which they do to get a reaction. I have had this myself and I have never posted anything about myself on the community. They are just doing this for a reaction and know nothing about you or your family.

Simply, do not feed the trolls and ignore and report them. Once they stop getting reactions and being talked about they will get bored and leave. Exactly the same with any spam posts. just ignore these and do not reply and report them so I'm aware and can remove them.

Peter

Heat, ramseyman, longboat and 2 others like this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lost a few respected contributors recently due to Troll posts.

Heat likes this.
  3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I go on the plasterers forum , no trolls their , plenty of abuse and insults from the regulars

Heat likes this.
  4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Which is a bit silly when you think about it. :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  5. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

What exactly are trolls? Nasty people? ignorant people? Troublemakers? How can trolls influence people to stop using the forum?
    I personally like the lively debate, the insults and rude comments don't bother me, so why do people leave?

DIY womble likes this.
  6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

A lot of people seem to think that if you respond with a counter argument or point of view to their opinions that it's 'trolling'.
    It's not.
    If a 'new member' posts about diet pills or such like...mark it as spam... and BLOCK.
    If a new member or old member sends a nasty PM (those were the days)...BLOCK them. Job sorted.
    If you find yourself breaking down in tears when someone, somewhere at some time may have said something which could possibly offend someone you have never met.......grow up, get a pair and stop being a left wing, liberal, snowflake, ill educated "manchild" (see Jordan Peterson)...(or contact Dignitas)
    I think that about covers all eventualities. :cool:
    RS

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What about if you're so fragile that you can't handle debate and "ignore" anyone you disagree with? :p:p

8. DIY womble

My mum is most definitely the nicest mum in the world , she plays Scrabble online , but if she's loosing and the phone rings she just switches off , no " thanks for the game I've got to go "

9. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Thanks RS, I like the Digitas bit
    Harry

retiredsparks likes this.
  10. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

RS you seem to be be nailing most eventualities with your post I’m not sure who this Jordan Peterson is so I’ll check him out, I will say that 2or 3 peeps on here seem to disagree with virtually everything you say ( going off my limited research up to date ) it seems you have upset some on here but some also give you quite a few likes so I need to see what’s gone on in the past, not sure if that’s entirely possible but I will make an attempt

It does seem the massive issue on here is Brexit (oh god I’ve said it and it’s too late to take it back) and which camp you fall into, soon I would hope to enter into it but would like to avoid any insults or name calling and stick to the facts, do you think this may be possible?

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

A Brexit man Dinks, because I understand what the word 'democracy' means.
    You see Dinky, being blessed with common sense , an analytical mind, an education and an understanding of human nature and history...is actually a curse !
    Because a lot of people these days (think Pareto analysis) have none of those aforementioned attributes.
    These are the types of people who could easily get me put away for GBH.
    The unwashed who tuck their string vests and bri nylon shirts into their Y fronts.
    The type of weasels whose wives die before them...because it's worth it. (reverse Jewish humour there )
    People who would argue with themselves...and lose the argument.
    Always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. (2 Tim. 3: 7 if you are a believer)
    Hope this helps...;)
    Rs

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's entirely possible.

13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I managed it.

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Almost.

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It's very good to have you on board, Dinky :).

You will be absolutely fine, I am certain.

You have met with RS. The worst is over.

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

@&£$!

I forgot about 'Arry :(

18. DIY womble

Time out
    Radio 6
    Now playing Big bird by Eddie Floyd

Allsorts likes this.
  19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select