Horizontal wiring in stud walls.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by roughneck, Nov 16, 2018.

1. roughneck

roughneck New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm building a garden room. I installed a armoured cable into the base plate went with the water pipe. I ran the cable to the opposite corner horizontal. Is this bad practice. I also ran all the sockets horizontal. Do i need to re-wire the sockets? It is behind the Kingspan. This would be a pain but can be done. But moving the Armoured cable would be a right pain unless unless I fit a junction box in the wall and send a cable up and back down. Wanted to get ahead before a got an election to install the consumer unit.

thanks for any help
    IMG_4478.jpg

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

As you are installing a new circuit this is notifiable work. What does your electrician say? Who is going to sign off this work?

Kind regards

3. roughneck

roughneck New Member

Not got one yet. Just wanted to get most things done first. I didn't consider it at first with it been armoured cable and the socket cable being over 50mm from the front.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Then you will probably have to rip it out and start again under his supervision.

Unless you are going to chance it!

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Or stick a plug on the other end and call it an extension lead.

DIY womble likes this.
  6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

How many times?, when will Mr DIY realise?.

KIAB and Sparkielev like this.
  7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Lets hope the muppet electrocutes himself......
    RS

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Why??

9. roughneck

roughneck New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Should of known not to ask for help off a sparky.

DIY womble and retiredsparks like this.
  10. retiredsparks

Because he is taking the pee...its illegal, its dangerous...he is a chancer... it's notifiable..its new work.
    Doing you guys out of business that costs you 3 grand a year just to start on 1st jan every year........
    Shall I go on ?
    :)
    RS

11. retiredsparks

That's right, we just love incompetent DIYers,, chancers and pee takers trying to bypass the legalities of Part P, safety, home insurance and doing local sparks out of work.
    Go and train for 5 years ...run a business in this climate ...and then see if it's a good idea for some muppet to ask these question.

12. roughneck

roughneck New Member

Like I said I was just running wires for an electron to come when I could get one. I suppose none of you sparkys do any joinery work at home do you.

13. retiredsparks

Yes we do, ...............and glazing, plumbing, central heating, decorating, appliance repair, floor laying, kitchen fitting, tiling and bathroom renovation.
    But that 'aint going to kill anyone...cos we know what we are doing. PLUS none of that is illegal to do.
    Why do you think Part P was introduced ?
    ..Why do you think our test gear alone runs at about a grand a time ?

So you are a chippy and don't know any sparks to get advice from BEFORE botching up the job ?
    Well done Einstein.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Strewth..

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's your shed. Your property.
    Do what you like.
    The swa is mechanically protected so can in effect be run wherever you want.
    I would advise getting a spark in to ensure it meets OL, impedance and VD requirement though.

16. retiredsparks

JP ?...have the tablets worn off ?....you are awake.
    :)
    RS

17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I am very happy that so many DIYers have been 'doing electrics' over the years. Sorting it all out for the new owners of their handywork is good business.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

With the proviso that you comply with current building regulations:):)

longboat likes this.
  19. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

No let’s not.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lol..hows thing going RS? I trust you are all well m8