Replacing a Ceramic Hob

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Chalky39, Nov 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chalky39

Chalky39 New Member

I need to replace my ceramic hob which was bought in 2002. I have looked in the book that came with it and the size of the cut out in 560 x 498.
    I have looked at new hobs but most specify 560 x 490+2
    Would this be a problem if I bought one of these hobs?
    I have an electrician coming to fit whatever I buy.
    I am an old woman who is very confused with going over and over this looking for an answer.

2. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

I’d be surprised if it didn’t fit.... 99% of hobs the cutout is 10mm smaller than the overall size of the hob so a hob with a cut out of 492 (490+2) will actually be at least 510mm deep overall so will cover the existing cutout by 6mm either side.
    Check the overall measurement of your new hob to see if it will cover the gap.

3. Chalky39

Chalky39 New Member

Reading another thread, it talks about a tight fit for the seal to work.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I replaced one last week, new one fitted perfectly.

5. Chalky39

Chalky39 New Member

Was it the same size I have?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Probably. As long as the outer glass is the same size, or a tad bigger then all good. I was prepared to modify the cut out if needs be.

7. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Most of the new hobs I’ve fitted lately have been the spring compression type that don’t actually get screwed down and normally the springs for these are at the sides (560)not on the front to back (490+2). You need a new hob anyway so just buy one and get it fitted.

CGN likes this.
  8. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Chalky, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Get advice from your electrician perhaps. I'm a sparky and any decent sparks should be able to fit it no problem.
    Around 50% of the time I have to trim maybe half an inch off the worktop to get a new hob to fit.
    Let the tradesperson worry about it. It's their job too!