Horizontal wiring in stud walls.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by roughneck, Nov 16, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi JP, great thanks.
    Still fighting the good fight.
    Still doing missionary work in deepest wales (well just inside the border ;))
    You have been quiet lately....foreign parts or just fed up with the usual ?
    RS

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If this is powered up via a FCU from an existing socket in the house then it isn't notifiable as its not a new circuit is it.??

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Not much is these days it appears...as just about everything has been declassified..apart from new consumer units and rewires.(new ccts from DB)
    This example is why Part P was introduced to cut out all this nonsense.... based on a technicality...but i still think if its not on a a fused plugtop ....its notifiable.
    (could be wrong)
    Whats in this new summerhouse..any services ?
    How will he confirm adequate earthing and other critical parameters ?
    He aint gonna get a sparks in after if he could not be bothered to ask one before botching it all up.
    RS

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Because RS is a git, you all seem to be working this out.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Horizontal cable runs between accessories isn’t your problem here - that’s fine, allowed in regs, all subject to other details as well, cable zones, depth, insulation, source of armoured supply, etc

Get an electrician on board ASAP, this may not be straightforward though and don’t carry out any further work until you have a spark on board and all details have been agreed between you both, ie, what the spark is happy for you to do, under his instruction

By him testing and signing off this instal, he needs to be confident in all aspects and design and certainly cable runs so don’t skin stud work yet

I fully understand your wish to be hands on with this project, even if it’s just carrying out the donkey work but, even the donkey work needs to be designed and agreed with the spark before starting and, fully compliant with the latest regs

I’m only diy and really don’t mean to be condescending to you, good luck with the project :)

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Although I don't care if people do their own electrics no matter how bad, its the phrase "I'll get an electrician to sign it off" that's laughable. The presumption that we will all come running like we are all sat around desperate for that phone call just waiting for that scrap of work to sign someone else's job off.

Crack on but don't expect any help from anyone else.

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I put my parents on a plug

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Shame -- because apart from the 1st stage electrics everything else looks pukka..dont mess up the electrics op, get it all done properly.

9. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

1. pz o vssAsßv dv xzxxx
    2. Qvv vsaws V
    3. Irxorxdrrrtcrccc
    4. qombbbbao,efcafrd es sdssbbscbbbppcpc
    I would like to add it was a new plug and no tin foil adound a dead fuse

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I'd love to see how the armoured cable gets terminated on to the sockets. Nicely glanded of course. People are just absolutely clueless. Do what they like, ask questions later, get told its wrong, go off in a huff, carry on regardless. One big circle of incompetence and one big circle of DIY jokers.

nigel willson likes this.
  11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Bring the armoured in to the shed and terminate it on to a galv adaptable box then change to T&E. Obvious to a pro. As long as the accessory is horizontally in line with the cable its allowed. Easy job fuerked up by DIYer.

nigel willson and seneca like this.
  12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

What they also don't realize is that even though we are fully qualified, if we are not members of the scam schemes we can't do anything in our homes that is notifiable.

I can wire any new circuit, install and change DB;sin work as Part P isn't applicable in a factory, but I am restricted with domestic.

Then they think we are being awkward.

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I Would probably use a galv conduit coupler to make off SWA to a socket back box.

14. Bazza-spark

No need to use a coupling. You can gland 2.5 swa straight into a metalclad socket.

Kind regards

15. spinlondon

Cable’s concealed in the wall, would imagine metalclad sockets will not be used.

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I do loads , but that’s not a legal issue. Unfortunately for you your wiring is that said problem . For an electrician to sign it off you have to do it to his instructions, if you can find one who will let you do it. Cable you have installed the swa, is incorrectly run . It has to be be installed between electrical points so that you can se3 there maybe cables Between them

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm I would not have run it in the same hole as the mdpe tbqh..

18. Bazza-spark

Works with any metal box. Not sure how it would work with a dry lining type box though. Maintaining the earth for the SWA could be tricky as there is no room for a banjo. Would have to be an earthing nut inside the box.

Kind regards

19. spinlondon

Back boxes (the metal type that you conceal in walls) don’t have a lot of space in them.
    So glancing off directly to the box can be a problem.
    Using a bush and coupler leaves more room.
    I will also use couplers to connect between two or more boxes that are close together.

20. Bazza-spark

Agree about coupling between boxes.