All RCBO DB Recommendations

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Nov 19, 2018.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys.. :) Just a quick question as follows. I want to purchase an all rcbo db and can anyone give any recommendations for a good unit at a reasonable price..there will be a total of 5 rcbo's in the metal unit plus a spare way, and also of course a main switch, Thanks lads..:)

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just a quick annex to my post above - please no units costing above £125 inc (one hundred and twenty five pounds inc vat) thanks guys..:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Look at Contactum Defender range from TLC. Board about £45 RCBOs £16 each.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr C..will look in a mo. Appreciated m8.

5. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

Look at "Fusebox" started by the chap from CGD. Board about £25 plus vat & rcbos £7.50 plus vat

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Many thanks Pete - cripes that is cheap gear, have you used it at all?

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yep think I will go with that..just checked up and can do the lot with glands for cables etc for what £130..see if my bro agrees to this. Seems like a very good price for what is presumably pukka gear.

8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I used one on my last job. Nice and easy work with and good headroom for the RCBOs. Like a lot of boards there is no knockout for the larger tails entry gland (40mm) but easy sorted. Only tiny gripe was the supplied label pack could be better quality.
    If you have any spare ways remember to order the full blanks - makes for a quality finish.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr C .very much appreciated m8

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Agreed, Peter, I have fitted many Denmans Curve, both old plastic 16th edition versions and the latest metal versions. The only criticism is the rectangular and square knockouts in the metal versions and the rather rubbish rectangular/square grommets they sell to fit them. They don't fit well at all. I tend to drill 20mm or 25mm holes and fit standard rubber grommets for cable entry.
    www.denmans.co.uk/den/root-category/Distribution/Consumer-Units-%26-Devices/Accessories/Large-Square-Grommet-50-x-50mm-%28Pack-of-10%29/p/2500979603?prevPageNumber=2

12. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

As a slight aside JP - I noticed in my neighbours CU an RCBO (instead of and RCD) which appeared to control 3 RCB's. It looked odd to me but thinking about it it should work OK.

13. Are you sure you do not mean an RCCB controlling 3 MCB'S.

14. peter palmer

I use these now as grommets for the tails in metal boards.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...REr-M5Hi8pF7lqJD3WGUcgN4SqtK5GW4aAuygEALw_wcB

Far easier and cheaper than those stupid massive pinching glands. As for the rear knockouts I still find a bit of stripped back sheathing from 2.5 or bigger makes the best grommet for the sharp edges, looks naff but at least it stays on which is more than the supplied stuff does.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I like that Pete..will put one of those on the TLC shopping list

16. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Contactum and BG are the same RCBO with a different badge.

The “fuse box” gear is good stuff for the money.

SBS boards/compact RCBO’s are brilliant having the double bus bar so no neutral tail....The only problem being that because you aren’t a spark I don’t think they would sell you one as you have to be in the trade...Show your qualifications or CPS membership.

17. peter palmer

I tried a few BG boards when Screwfix first started selling them but had a few faulty RCD's, as in not tripping at all. Screwfix claimed that we were the only ones to bring them back so on the balance of probabilities they were either lying or no-one else that buys consumer units from Screwfix bothers with trivialities like testing.

Screwfix wanted me to bring the whole mains unit back to swap for a new one, like that's going to happen after spending 3 hrs fitting it, it took a lot of convincing for them to go and get a stand alone RCD of the shelf and swap the packaging about. Either way I now stay well away from BG stuff.

Magicspark likes this.