is it necessary to seal porcelain and granite tiles?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by squarecrumpets, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Hello,

As per the subject, I've been told that the newly laid tiles need to be sealed while others say it's not necessary as they aren't natural stone.

Also, I'm not sure whether there is a difference between a sealant and tile protector.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The tiles laid would have had wheather they needed sealing on the packaging they were supplied in.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Even if the tiles don't need sealing, it's not a bad idea to seal the grout with a couple of coats of good quality grout sealer. It'll make the grout more waterproof and they'll also be much easier to keep clean.

4. baldex

baldex New Member

iv never sealed porcelain but as above the grout joints

5. Hi all,

Is grout sealant a spray or something applied from a calk gun? The ones I’ve seen online are aerosol sprays but they would get onto the tiles as well this my confusion.

Thanks again.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Grout sealers usually come in liquid form and are applied with a very fine paint brush. As soon as the bulk of it has been absorbed into the grout, any surplus on the tiles should be wiped off before it sets, or it will set and look quite glossy on the tiles.

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I have used aerosol grout sealer and it just evaporates off the tiles as it dries. If you go down this route make sure the room is very well ventilated and keep pets and kids clear

8. Hi, I've just read about the pros and cons of various types of grout sealant application methods. The aerosol one may not be suitable on porous tiles at they may absorb it. I guess yours were polished or porcelain tiles?

On a separate note, would the tiles absorb the colour from the grout and cause their edges to discolour during installation?

Thanks.

9. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I thought the tiles were porcelain in which case they shouldn't be porous.

10. Got both granite and porcelain tiles. Porcelain ones are unglazed and this need to be sealed according to the manufacturer.

11. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Well there's your answer then.

12. Yes admittedly I did not realise the implications of ‘unglazed’ tiles when I posted the question.

13. Was fortunate to meet a very helpful chap at Topps Tiles who gave me some advice on this. Thanks.