Worktop to end panel mitre wraparound

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by jimoz, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Firstly tried talking client out of this. Impractical long term I think. Although looks good in the glossy mags! Cut the worktops with mitres. Bit of a nightmare with 55 festool and 40mm worktop! Got there in the end although festool didn't enjoy it. Cuts look ok.

Going to fasten to units with oversized holes and washers. How should I glue mitre? I know I'm using silicone for the butt joints but what about these mitres? I have the choice of pva, pu or silicone. Can't see any holding long term when the worktop decides it wants to cup!

2. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Just loosely placed atm

Attached Files:

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You need to clean your lens. :):)

longboat and kitfit1 like this.
  4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

It's inside the case I think!

Got mitre mate n all but think that would be least preferred option

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

God, you really do need clean ya lens OP..................looks like you leave it in a house full of soot :D

In answer to your actual question. BB Complete from Bushboard will sort that out for you................just need to match the BB complete to the the same colour as your worktop. Once you get the right colour it will last years.................your check would have cleared long before any problems may arise and even then, it's gauranteed by Bushboard anyway.

7. G Roo

G Roo Member

1/4 inch router bit. Cut a stop groove15mm deep in each face of mitre and 15mm back from front edge. 6mm ply/hardwood loose tongue insert. D4 PVA or gorilla should be ok for glue. Couple of 50mm battens under top to raise it a bit. Pre.glue grooves, loose tongue in wtop mitre and assemble. long clamps, or cargo straps on end panel till set. Search loose tongue online if unsure. Best of luck

8. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Try looking at zipbolt full mitre bolts I am going to be trying this soon they are supposed to be for joining handrails but look like they will work

9. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Beero I'm sure you'd get same effect with butt joint on end. Ok see end grain but the effect would be same. Got to be better for longevity.

I was thinking of running router into both mitres anf chucking a couple of biscuits in each one.

Have just taken phone apart and attempted to clean. Still mucky but appears to focus better so we will see!

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May be a good excuse to get yourself a Domino machine ;)

I used to think they were a bit gimmicky but they really speed things up and the joints you get are incredible. If you want to make up a panel for example; just trim both edges with the TS saw, cut some slots like you would with a biscuit cutter and glue. Slide the panel together and you will barely see the join.

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Might need a bit of thought but a biscuit jointer should to it - thought - which way to use it at 45 degrees so that the biscuits will line up, maybe a knocked up fence or maybe some are adjustable. I think trend do a cutter for use with a router as well.

The biscuits are thin and expand when the glue goes on so can give perfect alignment,

John